2020 Python Reports
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: 2020 Python Reports

Member #
    Liked
    117 times

2020 Python Reports

I'm seeing mixed reviews on these - one new owner stated that his wouldn't fire in DA and Colt has said to send it back. Others have said that these are great guns. I've asked in several posts (across three forums): what makes this new .357 worth MSRP of $1,499 vs a 686 at $833? I received one tiny response - that the price was comparable to S&W PC prices for similar revolvers. Excluding Colt-manufactured $$$ from the old Python name, is this new 2020 Python really worth double the price of a 686 based on quality and workmanship alone? I plan on buying a 4.25" when I can get one for MSRP, so I'm not being negative - just looking for answers.

Member #
    Liked
    2210 times
    Cannot blame Colt for riding the legacy of Python and charging more then a 686.....were all going buy so makes business sense.
    Stephanie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    When you get one in your hands and compare it to a current production revolver side by side then you will know something.Until then people generally enjoy pontificating their opinion based on others who are doing the same based on reading what others have written based on what who knows.

This is what makes it fun sorting through the chaff.

Last edited by BusaDave; 01-08-2020 at 06:30 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    I realize that you own one. I assume you own other modern productionn 357's. Are you going to tell us what gives it the extra MSRP dollars, are do we have to buy one to get such information? I realize that I can buy one and make my own determination, but I'm asking owners such as yourself to tell us your thoughts.

AJD

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    A modern 686 is a fine revolver. But honestly it won’t be hard to beat it on fit, finish and build quality. Just my view.
    BusaDave and bczadnm like this.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    no hillary hole makes it better, just my opinion
    buzzards gotta eat,same as worm.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    The difference in someone who doesn't place vs a gold medalist in the Olympic 400 meter race is measured in a fraction of a second. It doesn't have to be twice as good to be twice the price.
    skwcoltguy, dandak, Tom K and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    The person who claims theirs won’t fire double action has been unable to produce a single image of their Python.

I think there is going to be a lot of BS and each of us is going to need to find out in our own.

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Runamukk2 View Post
    The difference in someone who doesn't place vs a gold medalist in the Olympic 400 meter race is measured in a fraction of a second. It doesn't have to be twice as good to be twice the price.
    In your example the difference in the race is a fraction of a second. I'm asking what makes the Python MSRP so much higher than other new .357's - what constitutes the "fraction of a second" in added 2020 Python worth?. This isn't a 'hater' saying the 2020 Python isn't worth it, and it isn't about 'S&W vs Colt' - pick a Ruger or another Colt if it makes the question more palatable. I'm just asking what makes the 2020 Python worth the extra MSRP bucks. As I said, I'm going to buy one, and it's based pretty much on BusaDave's enthusiasm, since he owns/owned three legacy Pythons and I own one as well.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Comparing the new Python side-by-side to the 686 & a newer 586 classic 6”, you can see where the extra money is.

Fit is superb. Finish vs the 686 is much better. Lockup is tighter. Brand markings look better. Trigger in both single action & double is on a whole ‘nother level.

Think about this, your $833 686 quickly becomes a $1200 revolver once you upgrade from those crappy rubber grips and pay for a trigger job (and it still won’t have as good a trigger).

Look man, S&W 686 has a lot of character, but a Colt Python has SOUL. Ain’t nothing like it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links