NEW Python Report (Issues)
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: NEW Python Report (Issues)

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

NEW Python Report (Issues)

Hello! I just registered here and thought I’d share my experience with a new 2020 Colt Python. Keep in mind this is purely for the information of others only. Here is the gun (I changed the grips to Pachmayrs)

1-E0520-FC-45-EF-4812-B3-CA-CAF995385-D5-E.jpg

The gun is gorgeous and impressive. DA pull is superb. Lockup and timing are excellent, finish is amazing. But there are some issues and observations, here is a list of them starting with the most serious:

1) Cylinder latch sticking (severe). The cylinder latch has severe locking issues. There is a “hitch” when closing the cylinder, I have to forcefully press it back into the frame to close it. Pressing the release with any inward pressure totally locks it up, making the cylinder impossible to open. There seems there must be a burr or something in there, it’s just totally not working right. Cleaning, oiling, trying to work it in over two days, nothing is helping.

2) Burrs at crown. The crown is roughly finished with noticeable burrs. Also, the rifling looks somewhat rough.

3) Rear sight has quite a lot of play, more than I’d think should be acceptable.

Some observations are the cylinder/barrel gap is incredibly tight, .001-.0015. Seems like this could be an issue once the cylinder heats up from shooting magnums. Single action trigger is unfortunately gritty and pretty heavy. Like I said the DA pull is excellent but the SA is not.

I called Colt this morning, they’re sending a shipping label. Will advise as this progresses. Hoping it is repaired properly and in a timely fashion. I want to love this gun, it’s very pretty.

I am posting this purely for your information only. Just trying to pass on my experience and data point of 1. Thanks guys,

-Panzer
    WVCOLT, dkay62, oberon and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Very sorry to hear this has happened to your new 2020 Python, hopefully your Python gets fixed. I also hope there aren't problems with these new Python's as new owner's start getting to shoot them. One of these days i would like to shoot and evaluate this new Python for myself. I only have shot dozens of the Legacy Pythons and never had a problem with them.
    Last edited by B.F.D.; 01-09-2020 at 12:01 AM.
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5969 times
    In the rush to production, we can expect some teething problems, but you may have received a "Friday gun" However, to their credit, Colt has stepped up. Let us know how it is when it comes back!

As an aside, how strange that gunsmiths now will be working on cleaning up the single action rather than the double action pull.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2957 times
    Thanks for the excellent early review Panzer.

Hopefully, these issues can be taken care of. Most of us Colt guys are all excited about the return of the Python.

Please keep us advised as to how Colt handles your issues.
    WVCOLT and ei8ht like this.

Best Regards,
    Doug
    - (dkay62) NRA Benefactor Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17077 times
    Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting your concerns to make us aware of possible issues. Keep us posted on how Colt customer service resolves these issues.
    WVCOLT and ei8ht like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    hows this for a quality issue...... dings/dents on end of barrel
    pth.jpg

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    I had a very similar "sticky" cylinder latch issue with a King Cobra I bought last year. The cylinder was difficult to open and close, and the latch was difficult to pull back and would not consistently snap back into position even with the cylinder open.

I went to remove the sideplate to check it and found the sideplate screws were not torqued down at all. After simply squirting some remoil in the action and reassembling everything, the latch worked perfectly and has worked ever since. I'm still not certain what the original problem was. At first I thought it was due to sloppy sideplate fitting/tolerances, but the sideplate eventually drifted back into it's original (very slightly misaligned) position after shooting, and the latch still works perfectly. It's possible there may have been debris or a metal shaving in the action, but after taking the sideplate off my Python last night for a photo, I can also see where the latch spring could have been "bunched up" or otherwise improperly assembled and cause it to stick.

Looks like Colt is stepping up, but if you have the proper screwdriver bits and are comfortable with doing so, simply doublechecking the sideplate and latch assembly might save you a trip to the mother ship.
    Last edited by BubbaShakers; 01-09-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    ColtsDad and CajunBass like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryone View Post
    hows this for a quality issue...... dings/dents on end of barrel
    pth.jpg
    That's sorta ugly.
    WVCOLT likes this.
    I’d rather be in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

Member #
    Liked
    1463 times
    Like I said in a previous post, I was hoping QC wasn't gonna be an issue like with the Cobra and KC... It'll be hit and miss I guess but hope Colts QC tightens up. How did these issues slip through the cracks? How are pitted muzzle crowns overlooked along with other things? Texting while inspecting?

Sent from my LG-V495 tablet using Tapatalk
    WVCOLT and aquadude2 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    I hope that Colt gets a handle on these problems very quickly or they will develop a reputation similar to the Remington roll outs of their auto pistols.
    WVCOLT and jeepnut711 like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links