Need help identifying my Python by serial number
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Need help identifying my Python by serial number

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Need help identifying my Python by serial number

Hello, new guy here, just joined the forum. I'm hoping you folks here can help me. So I own a SS (not high polish best I can determine @ this point) Python I traded for about a year ago. It is a 4" barrel with a serial number of F592xx, then a "P" below the SN. Searching @ Colt Manufacturing website by my SN comes back as a 1974 Police Positive Special & Detective Special.

But searching the web for information I find SS Pythons were not produced or offered to the public until 1984. Can anyone clarify this for me?

One website didn't even show Pythons were manufactured with a prefix letter of "F".

Was perhaps my Python an early model in SS offered/sold to a police department?

The reason I'm making this hypothesis/guess is the frame shows a fair amount of corrosion on the grip back strap where the hand would touch it, and quite a bit on the hammer spur too. Maybe a LE service weapon?

Thanks for any help on this.

Member #
    Liked
    2068 times
    Maybe "F' is an "E".

Clean off numbers/letters that you see inside when cylinder is opened, and post a pic.
    Colt snubbies rule.
    Life's too short to carry an ugly firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Could be an E. I completely disassembled it yesterday and throughly cleaned it and re-assembled/lubricated. There is no dirt or corrosion where SN is stamped. I just examined SN with a large magnifying glass under bright lights and the bottom segment of E could be super lightly struck. The rest of the SN characters are well defined/stamped. But E makes sense and I just checked @ Colt using E and it comes back a 1973 Python.

What about the "P" stamped below SN? What does that denote?

And from everything I have read on the net from diff resources there were not SS Pythons in 1973. Either blued or nickel plated.

Or maybe nickel plated but sandblasted or bead blasted @ some point and time? Wow, never thought of that, nickel plated but blasted satin @ some point and time. A magnet sticks to it.

When I disassembled yesterday, i installed new front sight blade and rear sight assembly. Somebody had def blasted those as they were silver/raw metal. And the top rail of frame and barrel. And those grip panels are new too. So don't get misled by the new parts on it.

Last edited by Iownapython; 01-12-2020 at 07:33 PM.
    ColtsDad likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2068 times
    If it's E592xx, then '73 ,yes.
    If so, looks like blued or nickel was refininished as E-nickel or similar looking refinish.
    Stocks are repro's.
    Inspector letters under S.N. are common.
    Colt snubbies rule.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 68python View Post
    If it's E592xx, then '73 ,yes.
    If so, looks like blued or nickel was refininished as E-nickel or similar looking refinish.
    Stocks are repro's.
    Inspector letters under S.N. are common.
    10-4, thanks for the input.

Member #
    Liked
    2068 times
    Welcome,Iownapython.
    Colt snubbies rule.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 68python View Post
    Welcome,Iownapython.
    Thank you, sir.

Member #
    Liked
    2814 times
    Could it be hard chromed?
    I’d rather be in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

Member #
    Liked
    2068 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smutt View Post
    May be.
    I can't tell most of these matte/silvery refinishes apart.
    Colt snubbies rule.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smutt View Post
    Could be. One thing I have learned tonight from this discussion is its not SS. You would have to examine in person but under the barrel lug for example, it appears like SS. Not the matt/dull low luster finish on the sides and barrel and frame top. Under the lug looks to me like SS hit with a scotch brite pad. Or maybe nickel just not bead blasted.

Another thing I can potentially see is the pistol's value will probably take a hit pretty big with this non-oem finishing. I had been regretting making the swap plus cash for this Python since day two. Its a nice pistol with a great action, silky smooth and no creep in the SA trigger break. Ill have to break out my digital trigger gauge to check DA and SA pull #s, but its pretty nice as is. Pythons from the factory always were the best revolver action of em all, imo.

I had a FFL back in the early 1990s, and ordered and sold a few new Pythons to customers. The royal blue finishes were the best prep and blueing in the industry bar none. Now that Colt announced they are going to once again produce Pythons, I'm sure this will have some negative impact on pre 2004 values. I doubt Colt will ever match the lockwork and smooth action of the earlier models in their new release. Just will not happen imo. Those early Pythons were manufactured and each fitted by hand by real craftsmen.
    68python likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links