Block Roll Mark on Colt Revolver?

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Block Roll Mark on Colt Revolver?

I was at a gun sale this weekend and a gentleman (by stander) handed me his card after I purchased a colt python. On his card he wrote "97 Python Elite 6" Blue Block Roll Mark". Can someone educate me a little and tell me what is a "block roll mark" on a python and what is the significance in a description (if any)? Thanks again!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1846 times
    You might try moving this or posting again in the Python Section. Good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    2860 times
    Ok let me get this straight. Mysterious guy walks up and gives you a card about a Python and walks away. And you asked zero questions? And now your asking us?
    Every King gun deserves a set of Ropers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2070 times
    So did you buy a Python Elite?
    Or was the gentleman insinuating he had one of the several Rollmark variations present on Python Elites, that he had for sale?
    Colt snubbies rule.
    Life's too short to carry an ugly firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    No, I have not bought it. Under the circumstances when the gentleman gave me his card, a firearms auction, the auction still on-going and me watching several colts I did not take the time to talk with him or even look at his card closely. When the auction was over he was not available but I did call him and talk with him since. I also talked with lumberjack who gave me some good information on a similar one he had just sold. But there were some differences in this colt and lumberjacks. I think the advice above to get a colt archive letter is sound advice.

He has for sale a blue, 6 inch, 97 Elite with "Block Rollmarks that he is willing to sell and the difference between his serical number and lumberjacks indicates a LEAST 500 were made with Block Rollmarks. Lumberjacks was a 4 inch and sold for about 5k and he wants that for his 6 inch. Just not sure it is worth though I would be saving shipping cost, tax, and transfer fees.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8435 times
    I've long ago given up trying to follow Python or any other firearms value, but that sounds high to me.
    However, probably due to the limited production the Python Elite models do seem to bring higher prices.

These things always seem to come down to...Do you have the money to spare, and do you want it?

My experience has long been that if you buy a fine firearm it seldom ever drops in value.

Member #
    Liked
    2070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andyj View Post
    No, I have not bought it. Under the circumstances when the gentleman gave me his card, a firearms auction, the auction still on-going and me watching several colts I did not take the time to talk with him or even look at his card closely. When the auction was over he was not available but I did call him and talk with him since. I also talked with lumberjack who gave me some good information on a similar one he had just sold. But there were some differences in this colt and lumberjacks. I think the advice above to get a colt archive letter is sound advice.

He has for sale a blue, 6 inch, 97 Elite with "Block Rollmarks that he is willing to sell and the difference between his serical number and lumberjacks indicates a LEAST 500 were made with Block Rollmarks. Lumberjacks was a 4 inch and sold for about 5k and he wants that for his 6 inch. Just not sure it is worth though I would be saving shipping cost, tax, and transfer fees.

Some thoughts ...

Are you set on an Elite? If not, 5K will buy a wide range of other collector-grade Pythons.

Can you reliably assess if this Elite is NIB w/all original finish and complete original box & papers, given price.?
    If not, purchase from a reputable AND knowledgeable seller would be necessary.Unless want to roll the dice.

Regarding the reported 500 serial # difference between 'Elite x' and 'Elite y', and assuming this indicates a certain minimum # of Elite barrel rollstamp subtype units- is not
    a logic step that should be taken with Colt production.
    Colt snubbies rule.
    Life's too short to carry an ugly firearm.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links