Colt Forum banner

2020 Python grip question

10K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  mello 
#1 ·
Is the grip frame same as the original? Ie ,will older grips fit this new revolver?

#6 ·
I didn't think so at first, but they're starting to grow on me. If nothing else, they handle recoil well. At least for me they do.

Reactions: Burgs
#8 · (Edited)
Well these answers told me what I needed,so yesterday I left a deposit at my local place. Their price is $1449+ and I have to wait for the state of CA to approve ( add this revolver to the states list) this new Colt. I do prefer my old grips as opposed to the ones that are shown on the new model. If old style grips would not fit,I wouldn’t even consider buying one. Pete

#10 ·
The new Python grips are almost surely made for Colt by Altamont.
Altamont is a major maker of OEM wood grips and stocks for many gun makers.

Some people don't like laminated phenolic injected wood, but they're very durable and many people do think they look very nice.
With the price and availability of higher grade Walnut these days, Altamont is able to source very nicely grained wood grips that look much better then the poorly grained, light colored walnut that was being used.
Many of the last of the original Third Type Target grips used by Colt had virtually no grain and were often a weird Blond or Orange color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.