Looking on Line for Python
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeverActionBill

Thread: Looking on Line for Python

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Looking on Line for Python

Question- as I search for a Python from the 1960s -- 1970's I am seeing a line around the cylinder often faint but still visible.
    Is it true there should be no line visible on the cylinder?
    If this is a problem what is needed to fix & approx. cost?
    Thanks!
    Jim

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    There technically shouldn’t be a turn line if I’m not mistaken. When the cylinder turns or indexes the cylinder stop picks up between the notches on the cylinder (not rubbing along the cylinder surface). The cylinder stop should then fall somewhere on the leading edge of the cylinder notch. In a perfect world there won’t be a turn line. I think the turn line is mostly caused by shutting the cylinder closed and spinning the cylinder until it locks in. Others will chime in with way more knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    4578 times
    The Python will exhibit a “drag line” from the bolt (which locks the cylinder in place) if it is out of time.
    There’s easy checks to verify such. The bolt should drop out of sight and begin doing so before the cylinder begins to rotate. And the bolt should pop back up to engage the concave (approach) area as the cylinder is coming to the end of its rotation.
    But the number 1 reason is the person handling it. They pull back slightly on the hammer which permits the bolt to come out of the notch in the cylinder just enough and they advance the cylinder which lets the bolt drag on the cylinder causing a fine line.
    This does not harm or damage anything other than the shiny finish.
    Most Python owners will end up with such a line on theirs if they use it - simply because they don’t know any better.
    The worst offenders are typically the friends who do it to check to make sure it’s not loaded as soon as they touch the darn gun and try to gingerly operate it.
    A Python in otherwise great shape will usually not be out of time, just Handled poorly.
    Kerz likes this.
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links