• 2 Post By dfariswheel
  • 1 Post By papulski
  • 1 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: Year / Open Cylinder Play

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Year / Open Cylinder Play

Hello all. I’m still trying to get a definitive answer as to the “year” of my 6” brushed stainless Python (K990..) , even after a couple calls to Colt resulting in a couple different answers. I’m trying to determine the actual year of the gun without paying for a letter because I don’t think having it will “enhance” it’s value in any way (am I wrong?). This Python shoots great with no problems but I question why the cylinder has so much movement (a lot, I think) backward and forward when it is open but locks up perfectly with absolutely no forward or backward movement when closed, perfect headspace and barrel gap, absolutely no movement whatsoever when hammer is back and trigger pulled. Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8365 times
    The lug on the bottom-front of the side plate is what prevents rearward movement of the cylinder.

In Colt's it just prevents excessive movement that might cause problems with closing of the cylinder.
    In S&W the lug prevents the cylinder from simply falling out of the gun.

In your case the movement is of no concern, all Colt's will have some back and forth movement of the open cylinder.
    Depending on factory fitting of the lug during machining some may have slightly more or less.
    As long as the cylinder closes with no interference it's good.

The Python "K" serial number series ran from K01000 in 1980 to K99999 in 1983.
    Since 1982 started with K75748 and the series ended in 1983 your Python was made in either '82 or '83

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    You can do a serial number lookup on Colts websight. It's under customer service
    Silverreptile357 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Dfariswheel, I just checked a couple of old PYTHONS for that specific that is limited by the crane on cylinder stop lug on the frame. The 1984 STAINLESS gun with the CYLINDER rotating directly on the frame measured .033 of lateral movement, while the older 1975 gun, where the CYLINDER rotates about on the crane with a small lug between the frame and CYLINDER measured .019. BOTH LOCK up, however the older gun has shot thousands more than the STAINLESS. CYLINDER gap for STAINLESS was .004 with .001 endshake and the old faithful blue gun was .008 gap ( .005 with CYLINDER pushed forward) and .003 endshake. BTW THE serial number look up worked excellent, TY papulski for that tip....

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8365 times
    Your blue Python is right on the limit for cylinder end shake.
    If it goes over 0.003" it's going to need repairs.
    That means a trip to Frank Glenn or Len Specklin at Spartan Firearms.

Again, the lug on the frame is what limits rearward movement of the open cylinder and that's not a critical measurement.
    The lug varies due to factory polishing of the forged side plate so you can get more or less movement.
    As long as the cylinder closes with no interference it's good.
    Silverreptile357 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Appreciate your tip dfariswheel there, just stating the facts, you are correct in the limits as being there, .008, total. I plan to elevate the problem as soon as the weather warms in Michigan. Len does excellent work you say? I am most familiar with Frank Glenn's work and talked to him today about several subjects including bushing installment, stretching, and shims for end shake issues. And the 2020 PYTHON, which I sent photos of interior parts. Not familiar with Len Specklin's latest accomplishments on COLT PYTHONS. Thank you.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links