4.25" 2020 python owner's report
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: 4.25" 2020 python owner's report

Member #
    Liked
    60 times

4.25" 2020 python owner's report

As noted in another thread, last Tuesday I was fortunate enough pick up a 4.25" 2020 Python at a small family owed FFL.
    I had searched several other FFLs, including a chain of FFLs popular in the area, and none of them had any idea when or if they would source a new Python of any description.

I have a soft spot for Pythons. A 4" blued Python was the first pistol I'd ever fired, thanks to a kindly Melbourne Florida Police Officer when I was a dispatcher there. A few years later I carried a 4" hard chromed 1974 Python as a patrol officer, which unfortunately got traded for a Series 70 MKIV 1911. I've always regretted that trade. If anybody out there owns Python #E75351, tell him I said hello. I hope he went to a very good home.

The 2020 Python under discussion is an anniversary gift from my wife. When I told her that Colt was making Pythons again, she demanded that I get one as a present from her, and my son was the one who located it for me via his network of shooting buddies. So you can see that I'm really stoked to find one so early. I'm truly very fortunate in that regard.

So, I was able to shoot it on Wednesday. I put just enough 125 JHP .357 though it to establish an elevation solution for the 125gr Critical Duty that it'll carry once my large .357 order arrives from SG ammo. Cosmetically, the pistol is very good. No tool marks, and the action is excellent. With practice you can stage the trigger in double action to get an almost single action let off. There were no issues with the hammer/cylinder function as seen on some of the videos. So far it has functioned flawlessly.
    The grips are very handsome, but for my sized hands I'm going put the nice factory stocks in the safe as soon as the Cocobolo Hogues that I've ordered for it arrive on Sunday (Thank You Amazon!). With magnums, I thought the recoil was more than my 4" 686 with Farrant grips, so I expect the Hogues to give a similar result in my Python.
    The balance of my shooting was 200 rounds of Federal 147gr +P+ JHP and some assorted +P JHP I had laying around - and this is where an issue arose...

Introducing Colt's ALL New And Unimproved "Airsoft" Adjustable Rear Sight:

First there was the Accro Adjustable Rear Sight. Then there was the Elliason Adjustable Rear Sight. Now please meet the All New Colt Airsoft Adjustable RearSight:

If you need to click on the thumbnails to follow along. They'll get larger.

Colt Python Sight 1.jpgColt Python Sight 2.jpg

Attachment 679889

Attachment 679891

FYI: Before you go shooting. Get yourself a .050" Allen wrench. Like batteries, it's not included, but you're gonna need it. It's part of the sighting system and if yours is like mine it's already lose in it's hole and isn't screwed down at all.

First thing you'll notice when shooting the 2020 Python is that the rear sight blade is, well, really low. As in the rear sight on a Series 70 Govt. Model low.
    The notch is wide enough, but not very deep because of low sight blade.
    Have any of you noticed in all the videos how the rear sight elevation is always cranked up high? Now you know why. The low sight blade makes it a requirement. Colt is using the elevation screw to make up for a low sight blade. If the blade was taller, as say on an Accro or Elliason sight, the elevation adjustment could be a lot lower, like where you'd expect it to be - not to mention that the resulting sight picture would be much, much better...

While shooting the Python, it became evident that it was stringing shots horizontally. I kept readjusting the windage, but the rear sight was loose and wouldn't stay where I put it. Luckily I carry assorted stuff in my range bag, so I got out my batteries not included .050" Allen wrench and tightened down teenie-weenie .050" Allen screw you can see in the above photos - it's the tiny hole just in front of the left sight blade. Yes, that tiny hole. I then shot the pistol some more, but it still threw shots laterally, so I screwed the tiny Allen screw down harder and this seemed to do the trick, as it stayed put for the remainder of the shooting session. More on this later.

If one inspects the rear sight system, you can see that the rear sight blade is not a normal blade in the traditional sense. It is actually an L shape. Sort of like a park bench. The horizontal part of the sight blade - or the seat of the bench - incorporates the little .050" Allen screw hole. That's what holds the windage adjustment in place. Because of this feature, legacy Python rear sight blades will not work in this sight assembly.

The Airsoft sight is not in any way click adjustable. Not for elevation. Not for windage. No clicks. Nor are there any engraved arrows to indicate the proper direction for left/right or up/down. Nothing.
    For the record, to adjust ( don't forget the tiny Allen screw first) windage you turn the side windage screw right to go left, and left to go right.
    Wonderful. And don't forget the tiny Allen screw again.
    For elevation, you screw it to the right to lower the rear sight and to the left to raise the rear sight.

While the front sight is well designed and easy to change out, unfortunately the new Python rear sight is incredibly cheezy and not worthy of an Airsoft Pistol (hence my name for it) much less Colt's new top of the line flagship/save the company pistol.
    The whole .050" Allen wrench thing beggars belief. One of two things (or both) are going to happen with this little pest:
    The force needed to tighten the screw is going round out the corners and render it useless or the little thing is going to fly off during recoil, be gone forever - and render it useless. Maybe you could ad a large magnet to your range bag for screw retrieval. And maybe a supply of .050" Allen screws while you're at it. If so, let us know how that works out for you.
    The height of the rear sight blade is ridiculously low and is not up to current standards and probably not up to 1955 Python standards either.
    Sadly, Colt did this sight on the cheap and it shows. It doesn't even belong on an Airsoft pistol. It's a big step backwards.

Now my question to the expert readership: Do you think that an legacy Accro or Elliason rear sight will fit on a 2020 Python? If so, that solves my problem. If not, Kensight, or somebody, is going to make boatload of money selling a genuine real sight for Colt's new Pythons. One that should have been on the 2020 Python in the first place. I'll be calling Kensight on Monday.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my new Python, but one way or another the cheesy "Airsoft" sight has got to go.

And here's mine...

Colt Python L.jpg Colt Python Holstered.jpg. Colt Python R.jpg
    Last edited by Burgs; 02-08-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    I suspect that some of you will strongly disagree with the opinions I've expressed above. In that I fully understand.
    I was written as somebody who has come to expect nothing but excellence in a Colt Python.
    In my opinion, as regards the new "Airsoft rear sight" at least, Colt has failed to carry on the Python's reputation for exquisite excellence.
    This should be an easy fix. If Colt doesn't do it somebody else undoubtedly will.

Colt Python L.jpgColt Python Holstered.jpgColt Python R.jpg**
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Burgs; 02-08-2020 at 01:39 AM.
    PAhunter and CajunBass like this.

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Second try at the sight pics worked.
    Thanks for the report. How did you like the serrated trigger?
    Burgs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    The serrated trigger didn't bother me at all. If needed, one could be easily smooth it out some if it bothers the trigger finger.

Colt Python Sight 3.jpg
    Last edited by Burgs; 02-08-2020 at 12:59 AM.
    CajunBass likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    693 times
    I have had questions/concerns about that rear sight since I saw it. I will refrain from ranting as your excellent analysis says it all. Thank you, sir.
    Burgs and CajunBass like this.

Member #
    Liked
    264 times
    Burgs, where did you get that print Colt catalog?

Member #
    Liked
    360 times
    Burgs, great report.

I have yet to buy the new Python, and had the same concerns with the rear sight where I think it looks too cheap for such a nice revolver. Hopefully Colt will make a correction at some point and supply a better sight.

Al
    Burgs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    The best way to tighten the sights on these new snake guns is with a precision screwdriver. You can get more torque directly on the screw to tighten it down reducing the risk of stripping it out compared to a hex key.

Throw one of these in your range bag. It has all the sizes you need to adjust the sights:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/32-pie...ers-97517.html
    ifish42na and Burgs like this.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Yea...I gotta admit that I ain't too crazy about that rear sight at all.
    Burgs likes this.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Does the new rear sight have an elevation hold/lock like the legacy Accro or is it free to bounce up and down with pressure/recoil?
    Quality over quantity: there's a reason that new plastic fantastic brass flinger of your's needs 15 rounds and my old D.A. only needs six.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links