Colt Pachmayr
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: Colt Pachmayr

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Colt Pachmayr

Hello everyone, some questions about Pachmayrs, any help would be greatly appreciated...

The wood stocks that came with my Python and a Hogue monogrip feel a little too big for me so am thinking about trying both the Gripper and the Presentation grips but have seen these described as even bigger than Hogues (which some on Colt Forum have said is a good choice for smaller hands)... would you agree? According to a post from the great dfariswheel the "Professional" Gripper provides a shorter trigger reach but is this still an all-around larger grip than the Hogues?

The Pachmayr name on the bottom of the Presentations is indicative of early issue, correct? I guess the later, smaller Presentation grips had no Pachmayr imprint on the bottom? Are the smaller versions harder to come by?

I prefer gold Colt medallions... do the small Presentations and Professional Grippers both come with the gold?

What can I expect to pay for a set of each? Does the price on this set of Grippers look about right?

Colt Pachmayr 'Gripper' Style Rubber Grips For Colt Python With Gold Full Body Horse Medallions 'NEW' - Grips

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    961 times
    Price is too high. Can buy them on eBay for about $70.00 shipped. Colt didn't not offer gripper professionals with Colt meds, only reg grippers and presentations. Gripper pros will have Pachmayr meds.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1592 times
    I would not pay over $50 as these show up often on ebay and of course I am cheap. Even if you bought a pair with pachmayr emblems for $20, swapping to Colt emblems is easy and that might of been done on the pair listed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I agree ebay

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    thanks guys

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Pachmayr does make 2 sizes of the Presentation Grip I believe. I just am not sure about the Python models having 2 sizes. If you are looking just for comfort, try to find a pair of the smaller ones. they will be marked "small" inside the grip. These grips make my Pythons and N frame .44mag S&W's a lot more comfortable to shoot

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8586 times
    Even the small size Presentation Python grip feels large to me. They're fairly thick, although not as thick as the standard Presentation.
    I have average size hands.

The Pachmayr Professional Gripper does feel good and I used them for some years until I tried my first set of Hogue's.
    The Pachmayr Professional Grippers do have a shorter reach to the trigger due to the open back strap, but they still have more of a reach then the Hogue's because the front of the Gripper is "thicker"? then the Hogue.
    In other words there's more rubber between the trigger guard and the front of the frame, which makes it feel larger.
    The Grippers are "flatter" then the rounded Hogue's and that to me makes the Gripper feel larger.

Note that all this is subjective. You may find it very different. All you can do is see what will fit you best.
    Many gun shops have Pachmayr displays with grips mounted on it so you can try the feel.
    If not, most shops will open a box for you to look at.

Since all we have left in rubber grips IS Pachmayr and Hogue, if you want rubber the Hogue is the smallest.
    If you need a still smaller grip than the Hogue you'll have to consider wood or synthetic.

There's quite a few choices out there for the Python in woods and synthetics, and if they're still too big, you can alter them with files and sand paper.
    One possible option is to look at a set of grips from Herrett's. They're an old line custom grip maker. If you send them a tracing of your hand they'll custom fit the grips to you.
    Apparently they make more grip designs than are shown on their web site.
    Possibly they can make a set that look like Python factory grips, only better fitted to you.

Gun stocks by Herrett's Stocks, Inc.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 07-29-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    tburn, TFlyboy and pypes like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    thanks HEMI and df, very helpful

Sponsored Links