• 1 Post By longranger
  • 1 Post By 29aholic
  • 1 Post By crsides

Thread: 265g 45 Colt cast loads

Member #
    Liked
    370 times

265g 45 Colt cast loads

Been looking for some .454 - .456 cast bullets and found some Keith 265g from Beartooth bullets. Loading data for 255g shows 8.0g unique is a mid range load. I am thinking the extra 10g of lead with the same 8.0g will not be a problem in a 1924 SAA. Am I ok here?

Charlie

Member #
    Liked
    1755 times
    Load data for the RCBS 270gr. Keith bullet is closer in weight, (to err on the safe side). The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists it with 7.0 gr. of Unique as max. How hard are these bullets? Is another factor to weigh. I do not buy cast bullets because they're often too hard, (and they brag about it!). Why not consider casting your own? It's a smaller initial investment than reloading and you control the final diameter and hardness of the bullets. My Lyman 545190 drops from my mold at .455/.456" with clip on wheel weight alloy and are hard enough not to lead the barrel. Bullet science is actually pretty simple. I'm sure you can find answers and support here, or on castboolits.com. as well as The Cast Bullet Assn. I'm a member of both.

I'll be back later, the old woman is waiting for me to take her to the store...
    longranger likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1755 times
    Now, some of the first .45 Colt cartridges I loaded were by today's standards, a gross overload for a standard Colt revolver. The gun was a New Service .45 Colt made in 1904, (I still own it) the load was from my Lyman reloading book from 1953 stating "the load" was safe in all .45 Colts using a 454190 lead bullet. Today, that load is listed for Ruger only. Did Unique change over the years? It did, they claim it became cleaner, (we used to call it, "greasy old Unique"). No, that load didn't damage my New Service, it shot very well, but did sting the hand a bit. Today's loading manuals state a full grain less than what I was using with that bullet.

Up the bullet weight and pressure goes up with it for two reasons, first the powder has to move a heavier bullet, secondly you loose space in the cartridge case confining that powder more. And as I stated in the above post, most commercial cast bullets are overly hard. I believe they do this as a "selling" point leading people to believe that harder bullets don't lead the barrel. This is misleading, an under size, hard bullet will lead the barrel, and badly where as the same undersize bullet cast softer can obutrate and fill the bore and not lead at all. Here's where casting your own and bringing your own quality control into play pays off. I'll do a thread on this.
    longranger likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Why do 45Colt lead bullet shooters default to heavy bullets?
    Bowling pins, Cowboy plates, ....what?

240, 250,255, 270 bullets? Why? Unfortunately, bullets are single use items that most shooters do not reclaim, re-melt or re-use. So why use a heavy bullet? And heavier bullets cost more too!

45 Colt was harmonized diameter-wise with 45acp in the late 1950's @ .452.

This means 45Colt bullets are the same size as 45acp. 45Colt now benefits from 45acp light bullets in the 175g-185g weight.

Heavier is not always better. Lighter & fps faster might be an advantage.
    "The ruling elite of this society has got to get over their hostility toward religious people and their values." Carl Paladino.

Member #
    Liked
    614 times
    Proper size cast bullets for a revolver will be .001-002" larger than the largest cylinder throat,cylinder throats can vary from one hole to another in the same cylinder.Measure your cylinder throats or have someone do it for you it is worthwhile to know what you have.Softer alloys are always better than hard ones for 90% of what most people shoot/The biggest problem with commercial cast bullets is their really crappy lube.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    466 times
    There are several bullet companies that cast bullets in multiple hardness'. Cowboy hardness should be about BRH 9. Hot cast loads need a BRH 12
    krag96 likes this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatman1793 View Post
    Why do 45Colt lead bullet shooters default to heavy bullets?
    Bowling pins, Cowboy plates, ....what?

240, 250,255, 270 bullets? Why? Unfortunately, bullets are single use items that most shooters do not reclaim, re-melt or re-use. So why use a heavy bullet? And heavier bullets cost more too!

45 Colt was harmonized diameter-wise with 45acp in the late 1950's @ .452.

This means 45Colt bullets are the same size as 45acp. 45Colt now benefits from 45acp light bullets in the 175g-185g weight.

Heavier is not always better. Lighter & fps faster might be an advantage.
    No default. I went after some .454 bullets to fit my 1st gen saa. Light bullets in anything other 452 are hard to find. Beartooth bullets cast had what I wanted, so I bought them. Got nothing against lighter.
    krag96 likes this.

Sponsored Links