38 Super Police

Thread: 38 Super Police

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

38 Super Police

I have a few weeks left before I'll be back in the states, and am starting to compile a list of projects, and what order I want to do them in. One of which is the 200 grain, 38 special super police cartridge. I have no need for it and don't plan to carry it concealed, this is merely an exercise to understand why bullets do what they do, and how to create better more purpose driven reloads. It is my understanding that the original idea for this round was to push a 200 grain lead bullet to around the 600 ish feet per second in the hopes that once it contacted a target it would rapidly destabilize and begin tumbling creating a very large wound cavity. As I understand, 200 grains is verging on being too heavy for caliber with the rifling twist commonly found in 38 specials, and it is easy to make the bullet yaw after contact. I have seen several videos that show in ballistic gelatin and water jug tests that this really does destabilize, but not as extreme as I would have thought it would. The question i have then, and propose to you all is, what would increase destabilization of this cartridge? I would imagine a softer lead hollow base slug, and slower velocity, but maybe the inverse would bring the desired effects, purely speculation though. I understand that chamber pressure could become an issue quite quickly, especially if velocity were to increase significantly, and don't plan on loading anything not printed in a reloading manual. At this point I'm merely thinking out loud and seeing what others may say, and later on down the road may decide to do some testing to prove or disprove the theories. Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    2361 times
    I always thought of the 38 super police being the 38-44 at just over 1100fps with the 158gr bullet with a copper tip. Then you would need one of these DSCN0728.JPGS&W heavy duty. This one shipped in 1931.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    That is one great looking pistol! I have always admired the heavy duty, and hopefully one will find its way home with me one of these days. I was referencing a 38 special load that Winchester and I believe Remington and others had made around the 60's. It was a 200 grain lead or jacketed round nose 38 special(not +p).

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3963 times
    The NRA Book of Small Arms; Pistols and Revolvers

.38 Special Super Police (Western)
    200 Gr. Lub.
    M. V. 745

Lub. Lubaloy bullet. RN

Cartridges of the World lists a
    200 LRN FL 730 MV
    Last edited by kenhwind; 06-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Sponsored Links