Oak Reloading Block
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Oak Reloading Block

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

Oak Reloading Block

I was just bored the other day and decided to make a block to hold bullets in while I'm reloading. I made it out of a hardwood pallet I snagged from work, a hand plane, drill press and hand drill. I sanded up to 600 grit and finished in boiled linseed oil. I'm trying to decide since I do leatherwork if I want to make either a leather sleeve for it, or maybe a leather flap that wraps around and can be tied in place. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    619 times
    What about tacking the leather along one edge and then having a flap that snaps or studs over the other side? I do like the sleeve idea too.
    "Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose."
    DeaconKC at surplusrifleforum.com

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Good call on tacking the leather. I could tack a flap on on one side and have the leather flat taper off into a thong. It would work similar to a tool roll if you know what I mean. Wrap the flap around the block and tie it off. That way too it won't be specific to a certain OAL like a sleeve would be
    DeaconKC likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Some people just have too much time on thier hands - I have some wood reloading blocks and really like them but you can buy them anymore, just (yuck) plastic. I've thought about going your route but I would have too problems - (10 not enough patience and (2) the holes would not be in nice even lines. My wood working skills are a little below my 10 year old grandson.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Luckily I have a job where I get my 8 hours in while most people are just finishing their lunch break so I can be home very early afternoon lol. I'm a machinist by trade so naturally all the holes were placed out in straight lines, marked, pilot drilled then final drilled. I drilled them a few thou undersized and sanded them to be a few thou larger than my fired brass. It's made specifically for my colt lol. I may see about selling some though. I can run them I'm my mill at work to make all the holes perfect and it would be a lot faster. I just dont know what sort of demand there would be for such a product..
    DeaconKC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6462 times
    Quick question: if the blocks are for reloading, are the holes large enough to turn the brass over, rim down? I use blocks with the mouths up. Such as:

Last edited by azshot; 07-03-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    DeaconKC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Guess I should have clarified I have two reloading blocks. I have an aluminum one I machined that is big enough to hold the rim. I use that one all the way up until I seat the bullet and crimp, at which point I usually put the finished bullet into a plastic ammo box like what you buy ammo in at a store. The only brass that will go in the wood block is loaded shells and fired brass when I'm shooting

Member #
    Liked
    360 times
    I have one my Father made about 60+ years ago, and one I made about 35 years ago.. Then about two years ago I bought a bunch of reloading stuff from the local gunshop and in there were about a dozen wood loading blocks from Midway. The ones from Midway are in various sizes so all get some use at different times. I use the wood blocks for reloading and plastic boxes for the loaded rounds.
    USMC(RET.) 1969-1993

Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Since I'm a klutz I'd be interested in a couple. I'd like one for a 32-20 and one for 45 Colt with a thick enough block (and deep enough holes) to keep the brass from jiggling around when pouring powder.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    I have one my Father made about 60+ years ago, and one I made about 35 years ago.. Then about two years ago I bought a bunch of reloading stuff from the local gunshop and in there were about a dozen wood loading blocks from Midway. The ones from Midway are in various sizes so all get some use at different times. I use the wood blocks for reloading and plastic boxes for the loaded rounds.
    This one was made for the last stage of reloading. I have an aluminum one I machined at work for holding the casings all the way up though pouring powder. At that point I double check to make sure all casings have powder and none are double charges. Then I pick a casing, put a bullet in it, and seat and crimp the bullet. Then the finished bullet is placed in the wooden block. This keeps me from fumbling around loaded bullets in my aluminum reloading block, as none of the casings in my aluminum reloading block ever have bullets. Just keeps everything sorted out and clear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links