What Bullets did you Cast today?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Oyeboten
  • 1 Post By MMCSRET

Thread: What Bullets did you Cast today?

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times

What Bullets did you Cast today?

I recently got a basic small size "Lee" Melting Pot and it has been a joy.

Molds can-pre warm laying with the Mold Body on the Pot Lip, Handles laying on the Thermostat Housing, and once Casting, my Mold stays Hot and the Bullets fill out just fine.

So, this evening, I cast 112 of these -

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Anyway, these come out for me right at .360, but I do not seem to really squeeze the Mould Handles as tight as I could, so if I did, they'd be a little smaller in diameter.

My understanding is that one would size as needed if for .38 Special or .38 Automatic...and they may even work well in .38 S & W.

Weight is 142 Grains with pure Lead.

I think a little shorter and thus lighter version of this Bullet was also available, of about 120 Grain weight, which was for the 9mm P-'08 Luger, and for the .38 ACP of the Day.
    Mosby and SBH like this.

Member #
    Liked
    614 times
    I worked with my RCBS 32-98-SWC. Of my alloy it sizes to .313 and loobed it comes thru at 105 gr. Perfect for all my 32 H&R Magnum chambered revolvers.
    Mosby likes this.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86
    Retired E-8; MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 88-07
    Retired and loving it!!!

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    There aren't any fins on your bullets so the molds are properly closed.Squeezing the handles tighter won't do anything.Ideal molds such as yours commonly cast around .360 diameter for .38 caliber molds.That appears to be a fairly old mold.Are you casting with pure lead?A bit of tin added to your alloy would help with fillout of the bullet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Definitely need some tin. There is no definition to your grooves, or the base. Sizing will help a little but not much.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    Indeed, I am pretty sure what I have is Pure Lead...When I bought it, seller was very definite about it being pure Lead and no Alloy.

I did 250 other Bullets last few nights, 100 of some, 50 + of others...they look good, but there is a little 'roundness' I guess from surface tension with the lack of Tin.

I expect they will shoot fine though as is.

I can get some Tin, but, I am not sure quite how to alloy, given how little my Melting Pot is.

My Lead was old 'LYMAN' Ingots...

Actually I am all out of Lead now...unless I have more I forgot about.

Anyway, had also cast up 100 odd of the old Himmelwright .361 Semi-Wadcutter for some .38 S & W Target Rounds, and 75 odd .450 Round Nose for my 1861 Remington Cap & Ball .44 Revolver...and 50 odd .428-ish Short Can o' Beans Wadcutters for .44 Russian or .44 Special...and some tests of some other ones which I only did a dozen or so of.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    I am thinking your mould is not getting to temp based on the pics of different bullets. They dont appear to be filling properly. Also, are you sooting your moulds?

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    I am thinking your mould is not getting to temp based on the pics of different bullets. They dont appear to be filling properly. Also, are you sooting your moulds?
    I did not Soot the Moulds...

Can try that next round ( soon as I get more Lead in...I sent off for some Tin, also...)

I do not have any way to keep the Moulds any hotter unless I want to cast one Bullet ever five minutes or something.

I heat the Mould till it seems about right, then just go in to casting, where, I figured the pouring of Lead and being fairly fast about de-Sprue and gently drop the Bullet on to the folded Towel, would keep the Mould hot enough, and, far as I could tell, it did.

Lead was for sure plenty hot...

From pour to seeing the Sprue top blush, would be like four seconds or so I think...

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    LEE makes quite a few of 6 cavity molds that are the true epitome of “economy of motion” every caster should adopt.

While I am envious of what looks to be a .44 SWC bullet (LEE doesn’t offer one) I am reluctant to source a mold because they are just too dear, or is it deer? Ha ha!
    "The ruling elite of this society has got to get over their hostility toward religious people and their values." Carl Paladino.

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatman1793 View Post
    LEE makes quite a few of 6 cavity molds that are the true epitome of “economy of motion” every caster should adopt.

While I am envious of what looks to be a .44 SWC bullet (LEE doesn’t offer one) I am reluctant to source a mold because they are just too dear, or is it deer? Ha ha!
    The only ones I will be Casting or early odd-ball 'IDEAL' Bullets for the Cap & Ball Remington .44 ( ".450" short little Round top one seen above ), and for early Paper Target stuff for .44 Secial, .44 Russian, and .38/44 S & W ( long version of the .38 S & W so .361, and not the later 1920s "38-44" version of .38 special) and some .38 Special...and it'd be unlikely I would ever find any Gang Molds for any of these...and no one makes any of these Molds any more that I know of.

"Matts Bullets" does sell some nice early pattern .44 Russian / .44 Special Wadcutters though! and they are reasonable..!

They have some very nice .38 Special Wadcutters also.

With Black Powder I have to boil off the 'Smokeless' Lube which comes on them though, and then use my own Lube, otherwise, they are just fine and a joy.

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...e5vol290t4r0q7
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 07-08-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    My Bar of Tin arrived today...one Pound I think.

Now I need to band saw off a little so I can add some to my Lead ( which Lead also arrived, Saturday, I think, so...)

So for helping the pure Lead 'fill out' in the Molds better, I'd add like 1 percent Tin by weight?

Sponsored Links