45acp - RNFP or semi wc ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 45acp - RNFP or semi wc ?

Member #
    Liked
    430 times

45acp - RNFP or semi wc ?

I have 3 1911 platform guns i am loading for. 1940 USGI, a mid 70's commander, and a DW CCO. looking for a bullet for general plinking, and a could be defense load. Live in black bear country so that is a consideration.

Looking at coated RNFP or SWC lead 200g bullets by SNS or Missouri. SWC looks to be problematic in feeding, vs RNFP. What are the +/- of the SWC compared to the RNFP bullets.

Charlie
    Last edited by crsides; 07-25-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1240 times
    The original 1911 was designed for ball ammo. Nowadays many 1911s are made with ramped barrels, frames and such so "square nose" bullets feed better.

If I had to buy only one to start, I would get the RNFP.

Another option is get a sample of each, most bullets companies offer smaller packages for testing.

Both the RNFP and SWC will punch better holes in paper than a round nose, and either would pack a wallop on critters and goblins.

Member #
    Liked
    5662 times
    Another vote for the RNFP. The plating/coating will probably have less friction and feed better. Semi-wads are primarily for target use, as they cut a clean, scoreable hole in the paper. Either in a pinch, but I'll bet the RNFP feeds better.

If not, try a calibration pack from Wolff. Sometimes that slight bit of extra push is all that's needed to go from jam to bam.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1240 times
    You can get SWCs with coating also, check out Blue Bullets or Bayou Bullets.

I like the purty colors Bayou Bullets offers.

Member #
    Liked
    5662 times
    There are also the hipsters at Gallant Bullets. They offer a variety of .45 styles.

https://gallantbullets.com/collections/45-caliber
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    I feed 7 1911s, Kimbers, Colts, with a 225 grain truncated cone bullet. flawless feeding, good accuracy and excellent terminal effect. Plastic coating, blech! I'll stick with grease in the grooves.
    old tanker and MarkInTx like this.

SBH

Member #
    Liked
    967 times
    RNFP or ball ammo 230 gr. fwiw

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    I believe the long cone shaped nose of the H&G 68 swc was designed to improve feeding in non-throated barrels designed for FMJ Bullets. I’d buy small amounts of the different bullets you mention and see how your handguns like them. Experiment with different things and you might be surprised at which bullet profile works. For self defense reliability is mandatory. Perhaps three loads, one for plinking, another for bear country, and a third for defense against two legged critters might be worth considering.

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    I have run Lyman 452460 and 452454 SWC's thru several Govt models with zero malfunctions.

Member #
    Liked
    1048 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    I feed 7 1911s, Kimbers, Colts, with a 225 grain truncated cone bullet. flawless feeding, good accuracy and excellent terminal effect. Plastic coating, blech! I'll stick with grease in the grooves.
    I have to agree with Dan! I feed four Colts, one Smith, and a Thompson submachinegun, that truncated cone bullet just flat works!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    29aholic and smkummer like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links