Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Novice-Intermediate Shooter Looking For Advice

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb Novice-Intermediate Shooter Looking For Advice

Hello Colt Forums,

I own a handful of pistols and enjoy shooting them all. Two of them are Colt 1911's (CCU 5" and Defender 3"). The CCU is awesome, but the Defender is annoying as it stove pipes & mis-feeds (only several hundred rounds through it thus far and hoping that gets better with break in).

Anyway, I shoot intermittently, only started 7 years ago, and struggle to keep a tight grouping (or any grouping at times). A large part of this is experience, or lack there of, I am sure.

I just came back from the range and noticed something, perhaps a bad habit, or just simply just bad posturing in my stance.

I tend to tilt my head to the right (I'm right handed), tend to be more of a Weaver stance, and it takes me a while to find the bulls eye. Today I straightened my head (perhaps even held it a touch high), stood with an isosceles stance, and became more accurate immediately.

Do many of you tilt your head to aim? (it seems more comfortable), and maybe you adjust your sights for the stance? (do any of you do that?). Curious if comfort of stance with adjusting the sites is the best practice, or adjusting your stance is the better approach. I'm thinking "fix my stance".

Thanks for any feedback.

Member #
    Liked
    6230 times
    With a weaver stance, I think I tilt my head a little (I shoot Expert level). Basically, don't think about it, do what works for you. For every shooting coach or writer that tells you you have to stand one way, there will be another shooter that does it "wrong" and can outshoot him every time.

Dry firing and mentally calling your shots are the second best thing you can do to improve your shooting, after live fire. Maybe before live fire, really.
    Kerz likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    That is some of the best advice you will get. when it works for you just be consistent, and practice practice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3191 times
    What Duke said consistency is the key to accuracy.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Keep both eyes open, and focus on the front sight.
    Rick Bowles likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I used to shoot expert darts in the 80's and 90s, so I know about consistency. It always feels like by the end of the shooting session I'm just starting to find my mark. Time just goes by to fast when you're having fun.

I don't shoot regularly and bring my small collection, so I'm thinking I just need to show up with 1 gun at a time to work for that session. This is a pretty easy choice, my favorite is the Colt 5" CCU 1911 It's the 8 shot all steel model. I do like my 44mag too

Thanks for the comments.

Member #
    Liked
    14948 times
    Remember to bring the gun up to your eyes, don't bend your head down to the gun. I'd guess your stovepipes may be due to your grip. Dry fire (with a fired shell) a lot. Put a small target paster on your target at which to aim, smaller aim point equals smaller groups.
    smkummer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    434 times
    The above postings provide some really good advise.

Grip, stance, balance, sight alignment and trigger control are the key fundamentals of handgun shooting. If properly executed, you will find accuracy. Now that sounds pretty simple. Yeah, too simple. It is very important that you understand how to perform each correctly. Otherwise your practice sessions will only build bad habits.

There are a truck load of You Tube experts on the Net. Its almost impossible to determine which one to review, especially for the novice shooter. I have used Jerry's videos over the years very successfully, thus can recommend them. Volumes 1 and 2 would be very helpful. 10 Volume Set | Jerry Barnhart
    Vic
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    You might want to do some reading to see if you are right or left eye dominant. If you are left eye dominant, you will have no choice but to turn your head. My daughter is left eye, and I feel bad for you. Do a google search for the test to see. It might straighten out a bunch for you.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    You might want to do some reading to see if you are right or left eye dominant. If you are left eye dominant, you will have no choice but to turn your head. My daughter is left eye, and I feel bad for you. Do a google search for the test to see. It might straighten out a bunch for you.
    I'm right eye, right handed, but I can change my dominant view if I wish. Sort of eye ambidextrous lol. If reflex is in play, it's right all the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links