I'm not a Bullseye shooter, but...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I'm not a Bullseye shooter, but...

Member #
    Liked
    521 times

I'm not a Bullseye shooter, but...

I didn't know where to put this post, so here goes. I don't claim to be a gunsmith, master reloader, or accomplished bullseye shooter. On a good day my groups lean more toward cloverleafs than patterns. A while back I decided to put together some of the spare parts I had lying around. A Kart barrel and bushing. A Caspian slide. A commercial lower that came with a cracked slide. Somehow I managed to get a good fit between the barrel, bushing , and slide. My groups are promising, except that most magazines have at least one case that pops me in the face. Considering the lineage of the extractor I used that isn't too surprising. After getting a case stuck between my glasses and eyebrow I decided I needed to do something! I'm going to begin with my ammunition. Gentlemen, especially any competitors, do you have favorite brands of .45 ACP cases? I'm curious if any seem to be more uniform than others. Once I get my ammunition sorted out, I can start on my extractor. Thanks for the helpIMG_1697.jpg.

Member #
    Liked
    1806 times
    As for brass in general, I like Star line. Great quality, you can order direct from the factory as much as you want, (I think with .45ACP the minimum is 500 though) decent prices, and free shipping. All you have to do is register for a free account. And they have some very good articles on their website.

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Starline brass is the gold standard of reloading cases.
    krag96 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7812 times
    Starline is very good, but a more important consideration is using brass made by the same maker and from the same lot.

The critical factor is consistency. Everything needs to be as close as possible to the exact same for each shot....
    Same case, same primer, same bullet, same powder, same powder charge.

My buddy is a National Match, F-Class, and long range shooter who Match conditions all his rifle ammo.
    He starts by buying cases from the same lot, then weighing them and doing statistical analysis to get standard of deviation.
    Then after selecting the most uniform brass he Match conditions them.
    Then he does the same for bullets, uses same lot powder and high precision powder dispensing, etc.

Due to the less potential accuracy ability from a pistol or revolver, just buying everything from the same lot number is about all you will really benefit from.
    Starline brass is great, and in the same town right across the street is Sierra Bullet company.
    They usually have 55 gallon drums full of factory second bullets. These are usually a cosmetic defect that will still give great accuracy for practice.
    Again, pistol bullets are less sensitive, so you might get a good deal on bullets there.

For match use most competitors use 185 grain semi-wadcutter lead bullets. Some buy them, some cast their own, but it's a lot cheaper then FMJ bullets.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4040 times
    You can buy a case of 45 ACP ammunition for less then what the components cost, then shoot them up and save the brass for reloading.
    krag96 likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    In my bullseye days I shot my old Gold Cup National Match using Federal brass with 3.5 grains of bullseye power under a 185 grain semiwadcutter sized to .451.
    It worked flawlessly for 30 years. I hope this helps.

Tim
    krag96 likes this.
    series70guy
    aka Tim

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    387 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter214 View Post
    Starline brass is the gold standard of reloading cases.
    Yelp, Brownells will allow smaller quantities of Starline brass.
    Vic
    Last edited by Kerz; 08-14-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    krag96 likes this.
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    322 times
    I was always of the opinion that brass hitting you in the face was a mismatch between the spring used and cartridge load. Before trying different brass (and Starline is he best) I'd try to slightly upping your powder charge or going to a lighter spring. If that doesn't work then try to figure out if the brass is catching the slide ejector port.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    521 times
    Thanks for all of the tips. I've ordered some Starline brass to remove one of the variables. Next, I'll check my spring weight and examine my extractor. Thanks again, folks.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3528 times
    Quote Originally Posted by faraim View Post
    I didn't know where to put this post, so here goes. I don't claim to be a gunsmith, master reloader, or accomplished bullseye shooter. On a good day my groups lean more toward cloverleafs than patterns. A while back I decided to put together some of the spare parts I had lying around. A Kart barrel and bushing. A Caspian slide. A commercial lower that came with a cracked slide. Somehow I managed to get a good fit between the barrel, bushing , and slide. My groups are promising, except that most magazines have at least one case that pops me in the face. Considering the lineage of the extractor I used that isn't too surprising. After getting a case stuck between my glasses and eyebrow I decided I needed to do something! I'm going to begin with my ammunition. Gentlemen, especially any competitors, do you have favorite brands of .45 ACP cases? I'm curious if any seem to be more uniform than others. Once I get my ammunition sorted out, I can start on my extractor. Thanks for the helpIMG_1697.jpg.
    I had a Colt Gold Cup and had an incident similar to that you related, a case stuck between my eyebrow and glasses. Following weekend swapped that Cold Cup off for a New Frontier in .45 Colt.

Bob Wright

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links