• 1 Post By Uplander
  • 1 Post By Law_Order
  • 1 Post By krag96

Thread: Loading for the 10MM

Member #
    Liked
    99 times

Loading for the 10MM

Long time reloader but about to enter my first foray into the 10MM. Research into the manuals shows a lot of information from light to heavy loads, any information on your experiences, favorite loads, etc. will be appreciated. Cast lead will most likely be in my future on this, bullet weights still undecided. This is for a Dan Wesson five inch 1911 style pistol. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Hello:

I’ve loaded the caliber for a few decades, from 135 JHP to lead 220s for
    pin shooting.

I just load 180 gr. RN now because I mainly shoot 10mm in revolvers, but like you I also use it in the 1911. The RN drops right in cylinders.

Right now I’m loading 10.0 grains of AA#7 with Federal primers.

I’m probably going to work that load down a bit next summer because it’s a bit noisy in revolvers, but it’s accurate and runs a 1911 well. 180s are easy to load a tad short which helps in 1911s. I load to 2.55”.

My favorite 10mm powder was Winchester Action Pistol, but sadly it has been gone a long time.

It’s a fun caliber to load. The brass lasts forever and 1911s tend to run like a Swiss watch in 10mm.

Enjoy!
    buzzsawone likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    One more thought: it’s fun to put an 18# or so spring in a 1911 and load subsonic/.40 power range ammo in 10mm cases.

Pleasant for high volume shooting. One of my favorite things about the caliber is its power versatility.
    Last edited by Uplander; 10-31-2019 at 03:53 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Buzzsawone the 10MM was a real joy for me to reload and shoot. There have been reports of the 1911 style pistols not handling the full power level loads of the 10MM. But my tightest groups came with the 150-155 gr bullet weights, with Federal Brass and CCI LPP. The 135 Gr JHP’s with 800-x was a real screamer, word of caution stick with one brand of brass at a time. Good luck
    Last edited by Law_Order; 11-04-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    Uplander likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Thanks for the info guys, I've got some 180 grain Montana Gold JHP on the way, I'll give 'em a try first and then probably do some more experimentation with some lighter projectiles. I'm a fan of Red and Green Dot in other calibers, may try some Blue Dot for the 10.

Member #
    Liked
    2031 times
    I like the 180gr. Hornady XTP for serious work and have tried three different powders that give very satisfactory results, Power pistol-Vihtavuori N105-800X. 800X seems to be a bargain at a few dollars less than most anything else, but some say it meters like "Cheerios". I never had any issue with it in my LEE Pro Auto Disc measure. With a 155gr. XTP .357 magnum velocities are possible, but penetration suffers. I cast 180gr rnfp out of an RCBS mold for it, it's the same bullet mold as for the .38WCF except without the crimp groove, RCBS 40-180-FN. A moderate charge of Unique makes for some pleasant range time. A bullet I want to try is the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator, 140gr solid copper.
    Uplander likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    Ten millimeter really shines with lighter bullets. 10mm works really well with fast buring powder too.

I like the 155 grain SWC bullets. The 200 grain & 180's might be suitable for hunting, but why endure the extra recoil when you don't have to?

RedDot, WW231, WST, & even Bullseye works great in a 5" barrel.
    "The ruling elite of this society has got to get over their hostility toward religious people and their values." Carl Paladino.

Sponsored Links