Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: reloading black powder cartridges with Lee precision classic

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

reloading black powder cartridges with Lee precision classic

Hi,

I own a 38 Long Colt 1892 and would like to reload it with a Lee Precision classic loader kit and some black powder.
    I've seen some videos online (this one, for example) with people hammering such loaded cases in order to crimp the bullet. I have a naive yet important question: is it perfectly safe to smash a confined amount of black powder? Is this kind of kit really made for BP?

Member #
    Liked
    7087 times
    This is why one shouldn't get reloading advice from strangers on the internet.* No, black powder is pressure and static sensitive, much more than smokeless. I wouldn't hammer on anything with any black powder in it. Remember, a reloading die is basically a very short barrel. If some powder goes off when it's in the die, it's not going to be good.

* a stranger on the internet
    krag96, scstrain, RDS and 1 others like this.

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    605 times
    Hammering any highly combustible material is not a good thing. No, I would not hammer a BP charge with a Lee Classic tool. On the other hand, the requisite powder compression for the .38 Cold can be achieved with hand pressure on a suitable dowel, it should not take much. If you have a loading press, a powder compression die can be used to safely compress a BP charge a great deal. Black powder is NOT as pressure or impact sensitive as smokeless as it contains no nitroglycerin which is present in many smokeless propellants.
    krag96, scstrain and MarkInTx like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2537 times
    I had two of those things, on occasion the primer would go off while seating it. That was enough for me.
    scstrain and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    976 times
    Buy a Lyman 310 tool
    BRK100, krag96, MarkInTx and 1 others like this.
    Curtis M Brier, CPA, CIA, CFE

Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1534 times
    The classic lee loader requires one to tap the live primer into the case with the same rod used to remove the resized case from the resizing die. 35 years ago in college was the last time I used one of those primarily due to space.
    krag96 and MarkInTx like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1534 times
    You will be much happier with the cheapest Lee press and dies. Life is too short for frustration.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1534 times
    Your also loading 38 long colt for a 1892 colt. That will require heel bullets or hollow base bullets. The easiest way to get that gun shooting is to load 38 hollowbase wadcutters and a light charge of a fast smokeless powder.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    No, black powder is pressure and static sensitive, much more than smokeless.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    Black powder is NOT as pressure or impact sensitive as smokeless as it contains no nitroglycerin which is present in many smokeless propellants.
    I thought it was more sensitive than smokeless, but havn't found any reliable source. I've read stories about primers going off while seating, but my concern is the following step, when you're supposed to gently tap your live round in order to seat and then crimp your bullet into your live case. But I've never read stories about bullets going off or exploding at this moment. Perhaps people can't type it anymore?

Lee Hand press seems to be a nice solution, but I think those little kits have some charm (and wouldn't cost me anything more). The reloading speed is not my concern for now.

For now, I will use some cast undersized hollowed base Minié bullets for expansion sake. I live in a country where some authorisations are needed for 38sp cases. I'm thinking about getting it, and then use soft standard lead WC bullets inside such cases.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1534 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhurin View Post
    I'm thinking about getting it, and then use soft standard lead WC bullets inside such cases.
    Wont work. Your bore diameter is 375-378. Same as the outside diameter of your case. Hollow base wadcutter bullets are your only chance for accuracy. If you can find the recently discontinued 38 short colt with a heeled bullet, it works well. A few of use here load 41 long colt with the same issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links