almost blew up my Python tonight.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: almost blew up my Python tonight.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times

almost blew up my Python tonight.

I just learned to roll about a few dozen .38 SPL loads with my Lee progressive reloader. 3.1 gr bullseye pushing speer LSWC bullet. Had 6 in gun, 4 shots did fine, 5th shot just went *click* I thought it was a misfire and tried to pull trigger again. Cylinder wouldn't budge. Could not break cylinder open. Turns out bullet had been pushed halfway into the force cone and halfway out of the cylinder keeping it from rotating to the 6th shot (thanks be to God!). I took gun apart, stick cleaning rod down bore and tapped bullet back into cylinder/cartridge and removed cartridges. Whew. How do you efficiently avoid this danger on a progressive loader (I am new to them). On single stage you check cartridges before seating/crimping. Hard to do that on progressive.Had that bullet moved a half inch more into force cone that 6th shot would have blown my Python. That scares me about trusting progressives
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    288 times
    Doug,
    Well we know that shot #5 had no powder. The big question is ,--did shot #6 have a double charge of powder??????????????????
    Jim C

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    WHAA...Now I AM scared of that thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc351 View Post
    Doug,
    Well we know that shot #5 had no powder. The big question is ,--did shot #6 have a double charge of powder??????????????????
    Jim C
    Answer to said question is: NO.

I just took the remaining rounds (about 8 or 9 of them) that were either good or were damaged during the reloading cycle and none of them had a double charge. Of the 10 that I fired out of this batch, none of them had the thunderclap of a magnum....super blow-up-my-gun-magnum and were all easy .38 special. So no double charge here.

I DID however find about 3 more rounds that did not have any powder charge. So I don't know what's going on with the thrower. I'm wondering if I have it in the "off" position and, as it tends to do, keeps throwing powder (I guess residual beyond the turn off valve) until running out with the final 3 or 4 loadings.

Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Sell the Lee and buy a Dillon with an electronic powder check. Everything will be ok after that
    ei8ht and BisleyJack like this.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    I just loaded 7 more rounds one at a time. Powder thrower is fine. All checks okay. I don't know what happened

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    428 times
    I have a Hornady progressive reloader I bought 25 years ago. Above all, you do have to be VERY
    careful and pay close attention when using any progressive press. If I ever had an instance when
    I doubted whether a correct charge had been thrown, I stopped everything, removed all rounds
    from the shell-plate and examined each one. Then after checking everything, restarted as per
    usual. They are "automatic" but require careful monitoring. A minor misadjustment can cause
    you grief.

Don't be afraid to use your progressive press. I've reloaded over 30,000 rounds with mine and
    never a problem -- but I caught several PONTENTIAL issues in the making that I resolved.

Above all, take your time, use good safety sense and have fun!

Member #
    Liked
    3163 times
    I've never loaded on a progressive, and never will; I'm just not in that big of a hurry. I've worked a single stage RCBS Rockchucker for nearly 40 years, and have checked EVERY case I've ever loaded.

Best regards,
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Good luck let us know if you fixed issue

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1316 times
    I an glad everything worked out to be just a safe lesson. Thanks for the thread, it reminds me to be careful.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links