Colt Forum banner

value of a 1974 Colt New Frontier .22 .22 WMR 4.25 barrel

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Colt75 
#1 ·
Can anyone please help me value this colt. According to my serial # search its a 1974, L serial number. I have looked at the auction sites and just don't see consistent prices for these models. Some of like models are selling for around $500 and some much higher. I bought this for my 2 daughters and now that they are a bit older they prefer my .45LC, so instead of this collecting dust in the safe I was going to sell or trade it. Thanks in advance for any help. B

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Since I don't see it, I will ask about an original box because that makes a difference in the value.
The 4.4" barrel ( the 4-3/4" were produced only in 1971) on it is the most desirable, IMO. Having the original grips, both cylinders, and in very good shape, (I don't detect any rust or bluing wear) it's worth more than $500 for sure. The L serial is a plus to those of us collectors that search for the little collectible niches, but it doesn't normally add any extra dollars , just sells a little quicker.

#4 ·
The barrel length is actually 4.4 inches (I have also seen "4 2/5th" in factory literature). L numbered New Frontier .22s were only made in 1974, which makes them somewhat on the scarce side. If you have the original serial numbered box, I would think that $750 would be closer to the actual value.
I look at Colt .22 single actions on auction sites frequently. Some sellers are posting really high prices and the guns never sell. What you need to do is to look at listings that have actually sold to see what these guns are really selling for.
- - Buckspen

#5 ·
You are correct, the barrel is actually 4.4 inches. Don't have the box. Thanks for the color on my Colt. Funny, I was all set to sell this off and now I am having second thoughts. Going to grab some WMR and take her to the range tomorrow. Have a feeling if I sell her I will end up regretting. Thanks everyone.

#6 ·
Reactions: ei8ht
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.