Share your Cowboy Shooting kit
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: Share your Cowboy Shooting kit

Member #
    Liked
    15139 times
    Rooster good question and I'd bet others have answers as well. 50 years ago even some of the 5 and 7x hats were damn durable and high quality hats by comparison to much of what is sold today. Bought the kid that works for me a $150 American Hat Co. lid couple months back he's worn every day since. It is a POS in my mind but it is what he wanted and was willing to work off. I have reformed it twice already so he could go dancing all purty after the rodeos Good to be young aint it! But the $130 Amish hat is three times the hat the Amercan will ever be. And out last it by years.

Bailey has made some really good hats. Wife and I both have 30 year old 7x versions we still wear.

Photo below is 100% beaver hat I built from a blank 18 months ago. We don't tolerate no shirkers here last 2 months its been up to 90+ and down below freezing more than once. A inch of rain in 24hrs more than once, rain most weeks is common in spring. I use this hat as protection to move sprinklers wearing Xtratuffs 'cuz I know I'll get soaked. Big brimmed hat really helps keep some of the water off there. Hat got stretched and pulled on tight to my ears for a couple of weeks straight riding young horses. Lost it on one particularly memorable day twice in the round pen and then again when I went through the arena fence. It got stomped on first by the horse, then again by me that day. Hat was looking pretty worse for wear at that point. Not one I'd be wearing to a wedding. But good for a long neck or two and keeping the sun out of your eyes. It still looked better than I did after all that! Week later had a partner get tossed and busted a pelvis down a canyon and needed a airlift to get out. I wadded my hat up to use as a pillow for that one...hat or unconscious rider...thought I could sacrifice the hat. He got most all my clothes and chaps too before that all got sorted out.

A lesser hat would have done all that no question and lived through it I suspect. Just not as easy to fix or looked as good when done Had a friend suggest I trade the Beaver for a hard hat. He's a smart ass.

Took a few minutes with a sand paper, hat brushes, and a steam kettle to get this one back to some thing that resembles a hat but easy enough to do. I look at good hats like a engraved gun. Buy them, use them, repair/replace as required. Life is short. A good hat, nice guns and a broke horse make life more enjoyable None of them are gonna be worth a chit if you are going to baby them or just save them took at on Sunday.

an after thought.....I have never as in never worn out a high quality hat. I have rotted out leather sweat bands and trashed/soiled hat liners. Both can be replaced. Good bodies like the silver belly beaver above can be cleaned and rebuilt many times. Had lesser hats not hold their shape, bleed dye, not keep out the rain and/or fit poorly . All reason enough to get rid of them for me. But a good hat fits perfectly, keeps water off your head, sun out of your eyes, is cool in summer and warm enough in winter. The better hats will do all that, feel good in the hand, light on your head (Amish hats are a little heavier than needed) and last a long, long time. IMO, if you wear a hat....you deserve to at least try once in your life a nice custom beaver hat built specifically for your head. For all the same reasons we shoot a Colt and not a Uberti.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 06-17-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    AlanC, krag96, rooster721 and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    293 times
    "Life is short. A good hat, nice guns and a broke horse make life more enjoyable.." "..same reasons we shoot a Colt and not a Uberti" "...& none of it worth a sht if you save them to look at on Sunday" ha..

Damn rights.. 100% agree
    ColtsDad, Cozmo and wogentry like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5879 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoody View Post
    Rooster good question and I'd bet others have answers as well. 50 years ago even some of the 5 and 7x hats were damn durable and high quality hats by comparison to much of what is sold today. Bought the kid that works for me a $150 American Hat Co. lid couple months back he's worn every day since. It is a POS in my mind but it is what he wanted and was willing to work off. I have reformed it twice already so he could go dancing all purty after the rodeos Good to be young aint it! But the $130 Amish hat is three times the hat the Amercan will ever be. And out last it by years.

Bailey has made some really good hats. Wife and I both have 30 year old 7x versions we still wear.

Photo below is 100% beaver hat I built from a blank 18 months ago. We don't tolerate no shirkers here last 2 months its been up to 90+ and down below freezing more than once. A inch of rain in 24hrs more than once, rain most weeks is common in spring. I use this hat as protection to move sprinklers wearing Xtratuffs 'cuz I know I'll get soaked. Big brimmed hat really helps keep some of the water off there. Hat got stretched and pulled on tight to my ears for a couple of weeks straight riding young horses. Lost it on one particularly memorable day twice in the round pen and then again when I went through the arena fence. It got stomped on first by the horse, then again by me that day. Hat was looking pretty worse for wear at that point. Not one I'd be wearing to a wedding. But good for a long neck or two and keeping the sun out of your eyes. It still looked better than I did after all that! Week later had a partner get tossed and busted a pelvis down a canyon and needed a airlift to get out. I wadded my hat up to use as a pillow for that one...hat or unconscious rider...thought I could sacrifice the hat. He got most all my clothes and chaps too before that all got sorted out.

A lesser hat would have done all that no question and lived through it I suspect. Just not as easy to fix or looked as good when done Had a friend suggest I trade the Beaver for a hard hat. He's a smart ass.

Took a few minutes with a sand paper, hat brushes, and a steam kettle to get this one back to some thing that resembles a hat but easy enough to do. I look at good hats like a engraved gun. Buy them, use them, repair/replace as required. Life is short. A good hat, nice guns and a broke horse make life more enjoyable None of them are gonna be worth a chit if you are going to baby them or just save them took at on Sunday.

an after thought.....I have never as in never worn out a high quality hat. I have rotted out leather sweat bands and trashed/soiled hat liners. Both can be replaced. Good bodies like the silver belly beaver above can be cleaned and rebuilt many times. Had lesser hats not hold their shape, bleed dye, not keep out the rain and/or fit poorly . All reason enough to get rid of them for me. But a good hat fits perfectly, keeps water off your head, sun out of your eyes, is cool in summer and warm enough in winter. The better hats will do all that, feel good in the hand, light on your head (Amish hats are a little heavier than needed) and last a long, long time. IMO, if you wear a hat....you deserve to at least try once in your life a nice custom beaver hat built specifically for your head. For all the same reasons we shoot a Colt and not a Uberti.

I wouldn't wanna say how much my Tim McCoy hat cost me & then that beautiful leather vest wasn't cheap either & the tooled rig w/the silver buckle but the engraved gun sure looks good in it.I AM going to get some pictures taken of my McCoy stuff ,I've got a silver & gold neckerchief slide w/his brand from the ranch that he had before he got into the movie business & an original size neckerchief to go w/it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    425 times
    Well, when I buy a hat, durability is the number one priority. That, and how it fits. You can get by with a cheaper hat, but I wear mine everyday so it has to be comfortable, stand up to snow, rain, hail, sun, sweat, dirt, getting stepped on and everything else in between. The brown hat I posted earlier that I put on my son's head is so sweat stained now, you can't even tell the hat band was ever tan. It's a dark brown color like the rest of the hat from all the sweat and dirt. If I did all that with a cheaper hat, more than likely the brim would be draped in front of my eyes within the first year. So, its nicer to get a hat with more beaver felt, and less wool. The thing I like about Mackey's is that you can send him the measurement of your head, tell him if your head is a long oval type or not, and they almost feel like a custom hat. And, you can send him a picture of exactly what you want and they will do it. They come kinda tight, but are great after you get them broke in. To me, hats like Mackey's are well enough made, and fit well enough that they merit the cost. So, they aren't cheap hats that will wear out in a couple of years, and they aren't crazy expensive like a custom hat outfit wear you go in and get your head measured with the gizmo and all that.
    rooster721 and Cozmo like this.
    "He raised quickly his pistol--a self-cocker-- within a foot of my breast. Retreating rapidly across the room, he cried, "Quien es? Quien es?" All this occurred more rapidly than it takes to tell it. As quick as possible I drew my revolver and fired, threw my body to one side, and fired again. The second shot was useless. The Kid fell dead at the first one." ~ Pat Garrett 1882

Member #
    Liked
    15139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    I wouldn't wanna say how much my Tim McCoy hat cost me....
    Jim do they look anything like this? And why Tim McCoy?

My friend and a hat maker Rodney Allison pulls in $1200 for a all beaver hat, $1700 for a mink beaver blend and a eye watering $2350 for cashmere! My most expensive hat (shown above) was a 1400 mile round trip drive, 4 days in a hotel plus food and the price of a $400 hat making class (took me 2 days to make the hat, but that did included a beaver hat blank, tools and materials needed to get it done. Never added it up...couldn't bare the reality of the price on that one. Thought more than once I should have just bought a nice hat.
    Garret44CAL likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15139 times
    Jim Martin's SASS rig with Moose antler grips and a Garcia (Elko) hand engraved mini Mona Lisa bridle bit buckle.

Member #
    Liked
    5879 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoody View Post
    Jim do they look anything like this? And why Tim McCoy?

My friend and a hat maker Rodney Allison pulls in $1200 for a all beaver hat, $1700 for a mink beaver blend and a eye watering $2350 for cashmere! My most expensive hat (shown above) was a 1400 mile round trip drive, 4 days in a hotel plus food and the price of a $400 hat making class (took me 2 days to make the hat, but that did included a beaver hat blank, tools and materials needed to get it done. Never added it up...couldn't bare the reality of the price on that one. Thought more than once I should have just bought a nice hat.

Yes almost identical,I've been a Tim McCoy fan all my life,he was also a hell'ave gun hand & very fast w/a SA in real life.He really did his own stunts unlike a lot of others that only claim they did.I've got a picture on my wall where he's jumping his white horse [starlight] over a buckboard & u can see it's really him.
    Cozmo, Garret44CAL and lounick like this.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links