What can you tell about this 1883 Colt SAA?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: What can you tell about this 1883 Colt SAA?

gil

Member #
    Liked
    130 times

What can you tell about this 1883 Colt SAA?

Hello,You guy's opinion would be greatly appreciated. I have this Single Action Army on hold...Sorry, some photos aren't very good.Thank you! Gil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gil; 11-29-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Trying to add photos.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22797 times
    Probably worth in the $2000 range. Check to see why the trigger guard does not 'snug up' with the bottom of the frame. That gap is very noticeable. A few of the screws seem to have been replaced.The bore is pretty nice for the age and the cylinder seems to be in good condition. The fit of the ejector rod housing to the frame and barrel looks good.
    LEO918, mrcvs, jringo8769 and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    It has a good look to it, I really like it! Nice purchase!
    krag96 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

gil

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Thanks, much appreciated. I saw that gap. It looks like there are a few small grains of grit or something in between, I'll ask. The seller says it's in good shape and can be shot. I have the RCBS 45-270-SA mold, which makes a .454 280-285gr bullet. Would it be too heavy? Using a light load of BP of course (how much?). Would this gun be a "don't restore" deal or something that wouldn't suffer from a re-bluing? I assume leaving it as is would be the right thing to do... This would not so much be an investment, but more of a lifetime personal item... Would removing the light surface rust, maybe using electrolysis be a no-no? I certainly would not want to harm it, not so much from a value standpoint but from a preservation standpoint... Sorry, lots of questions... This would be my first antique piece and I am not very familiar with such old guns. Thanks again.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1881 times
    Black powder only! What do you mean by a light black powder load? You NEVER want to have a dead air space, so no such thing as a light load. Fill until 1/16" to 1/8" higher than base of bullet and hear the powder crunch as you seat it.

Leave this gun as is. No rebluing, etc!!!

I think $2000 for this one is about right.
    krag96 likes this.

gil

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    BP only of course! Well, the price here (I am now in France) is quite a bit higher given the import charges and 20% VAT... Oh well... As to a charge, I was thinking of 25gr of 3F, maybe with a wad if needed. I have two Lee molds also, 200 and 255gr but those are .452, probably too small. The RCBS is the only one I have that is .454 and I like its profile. I used that bullet in my Pietta SAA (sold) and it worked great.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1167 times
    well that looks like a nice looking SAA...this is not something u should try and improve on the looks...it will take all value out of it...
    to your question...Would this gun be a "don't restore" deal or something that wouldn't suffer from a re-bluing? I assume leaving it as is would be the right thing to do... This would not so much be an investment, but more of a lifetime personal item... Would removing the light surface rust, maybe using electrolysis be a no-no? I certainly would not want to harm it, not so much from a value standpoint but from a preservation standpoint....Do Not try and Restore it...NO REBLUE...NO ELECTROLYSIS....make it safe to shoot...tighten all the screws and clean it of course...but any rust should be left...there is almost no blue left...just keep it clean and dry....i would clean the grips up and make them look a little nicer...i know i would love to find one of these in this condition....u have done well finding this too....God Bless,John
    krag96 and Sparebux like this.
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Indianapolis, IN & beautiful Lake Cumberland, KY
    Liked
    2528 times
    You can use corn meal or cream-of-wheat as filler to make light loads. By serial number it is a black powder only (wrought iron frame).
    "De-rust" it and leave it as is.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1898 times
    To perhaps resolve the triggerguard to frame gap; check the screw, in the bottom of the frame covered by the triggerguard, that applies the pressure to the loading gate. It could be protruding below the frame. It is an easy fix to just screw it in a turn or so to get it below the frame surface. All this is seen and done with the triggerguard removed. Regards.
    krag96 likes this.

gil

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Thanks guys, I would just change the grips then and find some nice leather for it, no alterations. I can keep the old grips, it's easy to swap em'. Any suggestions on loads with that 285gr bullet? Not that it would be shot often, but a few rounds every other month. Now the painful part, coughing up the money next week...
    krag96 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links