Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree413Likes

Thread: Inherited engraved SAA .41

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    Or still yet, this accounting might provide some insight! Charles H. Burritt's Letters are famous because he was a lawyer in town during the Cattle War and he wrote about how the town was doing in the aftermath. He was a well know lawyer in town and was once Mayor of Buffalo.
    CharlesBurritlettergunscan0001.pdf
    sumthin_nu

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    We've wondered how the Buffalo gun ended up in IL. Perhaps this trap will prove out? The Seller's grandmother's name was Mabel and she lived in IL of all places..... And this transaction was between a William H Mather and the Glasses

36933, Quit Clain Deed, Filed for record May 18, 1922 at 9 o'clock P.M.
    n
    ed
    )rth,
    i

The Grantors Glenn Glass and Mabel G. Glass, his wife of the City of Galesburk
    n the County of Knox and State of Illinois for the consideration of One and no/100
    oilers, Convey and Quit-Claim to William H Mather° of the City of Rook Island
    ounty of Book Island and State of Illinois all interest in the following described
    al Estate, The .outh half of Section Twenty-five (25) in teownship Forty-seven (47)
    orth of Range Eighty (80) West of the Sixth Principal Meridian, in the County of Johns
    ijtuated in the County of Johnson, in the State of iyoming, hereby releaeing and waivin
    11 rights under and by virtue of -the Homestead Exemption Laws of this State.
    Dated this 17th day of lia,h A.D. 1922.
    /Budd, sealed and Delivered in Glenn Glass (SEAL)
    rosenoe of Mabel G. Glass (SEAL )
    sumthin_nu

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22101 times
    When I read the attempts to connect this beautiful engraved SAA to some famous people and/or events, it reminds me of a friend who was an SAA collector. He had a notebook full of 'possible' connections to all kinds of people and events to go with every SAA he ever owned. None of his 'histories' ever convinced me to offer him a premium on any gun he ever tried to sell.
    sumthin_nu likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    You are a smart man, saintclair! It s not wise to buy stories, so I am told......"Possible's" don't count in this realm, only realities. Today I am simply showing some of what I've been able to uncover in a little less than two weeks. If one these possibilities is turned into a reality in this situation, it will be due to an abundance of good fortune and a lot of hard work, as the trail has been cold now for too many years. That being said, I will run the traps!

But I have to admit that I didn't buy the Buffalo gun with that in mind...... I bought a FE SAA that has a VERY unique, and possibly one of a kind shipping address during a historic time in the West. If that's all it turns out to be then I am still happy.
    saintclair likes this.
    sumthin_nu

Member #
    Liked
    14525 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sumthin_nu
    ...But I have to admit that I didn't buy the Buffalo gun with that in mind...... I bought a FE SAA that has a VERY unique, and possibly one of a kind shipping address during a historic time in the West. If that's all it turns out to be then I am still happy.
    One gets what they work for. I agree, the guns was worth the price as a FE and unique shipping destination. Lots of possibilities from that part of the country and time frame. The history, if found, may not add much to the price but it sure adds to the "value" in my mind. Thanks very much for the update and story telling.
    Rick Bowles and sumthin_nu like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    What Cosmo said + 1
    I know you didn't buy it to "flip"
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    No sir!
    Cozmo likes this.
    sumthin_nu

Member #
    Liked
    14977 times
    Congratulations Jim! Everything happens for a reason. Your re-hab allows you the time for your research and your research takes your mind off the re-hab!
    sumthin_nu and saintclair like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    I almost forgot to mention a very interesting conversation I had with the Librarian in Buffalo. The lady was nice enough to call me back instead of me having to chase her down.... As we began talking I could tell over the phone that she was very excited that I would reach out to her for help. She began to explain what she could remember off of the top of her head in terms of resources in the library relating to this time period. Then she said, "Oh, and I believe we also have a ledger from Munkres and Mather Hardware"........maybe that would help us also, almost as an afterthought!

As you might imagine, my attention level changed at that very moment as I thought to myself, this wild goose chase might actually pay off. She said she would look into where it was and get back to me.....so at least for a day my expectation of a significant discovery increased significantly! She did e-mail me the very next day to CONFIRM the fact that she did indeed have a ledger from Munkres and Mather!!! Once again, my heart was lifted.... then she explained that it only started in 1900!
    sumthin_nu

Member #
    Liked
    14525 times
    then she explained that it only started in 1900!

Oh my!
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links