SAA holsters ya have/use
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree675Likes

Thread: SAA holsters ya have/use

Member #
    Liked
    168 times

SAA holsters ya have/use

How 'bout sharing some pictures of SAA holsters you have that might be of interest to others.
    Holsters that: dress up your SAA, oldies from times past, for use in the field, unique or ya jus' like 'em.
    Be sure to share 'bout the reason you like/prefer the particular leather rig, k'.
    One preferred SAA field holster was from Lawrence Leather Goods, their Model 120 - aka: Sixguns by Keith.
    It's compact, holds the SA up close n' out of the way for most field conditions, while allowing quick access.
    Colt shown is a 1958 .44 Special.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    13049 times
    That is a great gun and a true classic holster for it. It looks a little different than Elmer's because it curves down in front of the hammer. I think his is higher in front even maybe covering his rear adjustable sights. I made this rig in 1992 and just had to restitch the tongue billet out aways because I went from 34" to 36" since then. It's very comfortable and light weight. Belt lined with soft suede type stuff. I've worn this camping and hiking around a lot. That's a 1958 .44 Special in it, too.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    853 times

Wm. Brown Holster Co., Tombstone, AZ

Wm. Brown Holster Company in Tombstone, AZ made this rig for my Colt Frontier Six Shooter. The gun-belt has an internal area to hide/transport paper money and other valuable documents. This came in handy because most Old West cowboys lacked pants pockets. My Colt was made in 1881, the same year as the "Gunfight in the OK Corral." Placing it in an authentic Old West holster made in Tombstone only adds to the history of this piece.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    I roll with my Jesse James rig. I like the simple nature of the holsters and belt. Here's one of my holsters, I call it 5.0 because it's my 5th attempt at improving my personal holsters but looks like I will need at least a 6.0 and a 7.0 before I am totally happy. I'll probably take some design liberties on my next one, just so some areas are not so bland. That's why the colt and pony are there.

20180807_011832.jpg20180807_011850.jpg

And of course every good Jesse rig requires the belt:

belt.jpg

I'll have to make another when I drop some pounds I gained so the bullet count will drop by ten or more LOL. I think it's like in the 40s right now.
    Last edited by Botiemaster; 08-25-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3701 times
    Back in the 80's I bought my first centerfire SAR a Ruger black hawk- I was spending to much of my pay check on 45 ACP, and thought I would slow my rate of fire and have longer shooting sessions and save money. Sent for a El Paso #88, works real good and now use it for a Colt SAA. It's not to loose for the Colt. The old version of the "Combat 88" had a steel liner you could squeeze to fit. No bueno the new ones do not but they are still great holsters. Also like their #77 Tortilla holster for the SAA.

Last edited by Ugly; 08-25-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24067 times
    Here are a few that Phillip Rowland made for me. I have not heard from him for several years. I hope he is doing okay.

DSCN1360.JPG

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24067 times
    Here is Phillip Rowland's mark that he put on his hand made holsters:

Member #
    Liked
    16063 times
    A lot of cows have died a glorious death for the likes of Saintclair and Yahoody

Jim @ Trailrider Products did a couple of these for me in various barrel lengths. This is a 4 3/4". They are rigged cross draw. Love it on a horse.

Cowboy Bob did this dbl rig for me just last week.

Last edited by Cozmo; 08-25-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    WB, nice work on the tooling. Yep, any .44 Special is 'Special'. I understand on the length of the belt. It's always amazed me how leather can shrink over the years! Been there, done that myself!
    Ruster: Splendid setup and compliments your 1st Gen 1881 model nicely AND made in Tombstone as well.
    Ugly: a fine n' practical holster, thanks. I'll post a similar later on.

In the late 1970's El Paso Saddlery was offering some limited edition holster/belt rigs. I bought a couple, then at a g/show in the late 1980's came across this rig in a box of leather the owner was parting with. He too experienced the shrinkage of leather in some of his belts!
    This rig is 1 of 25 El Paso Saddlery O.K. Corral Centennial, offered at the time, believe the price then was $250, mucho dinero for a holster/belt setup like this back then - a bit up there even today, but not for a floral carved rig. The stamp on the holster n' belt both read: SPANGENBERG, GUNSMITH, TOMBSTONE, A.T. The buckle is engraved with: Oct. 26, 1881 TOMBSTONE, A.T. The belt is a 'money belt', Ruster has spoken of money belts above. The belt fits me and does get outdoors now n' then. The Colt SAA is a 3rd Gen, the previous owner having had some cosmetic work done on it - a nice touch, not too gawdy. Near as a couple woodworking/knife making friends can figure, the grips may be palm wood?

Appreciation for those sharing on holsters, I'm sure we'll all learn from this...
    Think I'll go dig out some more!!
    Last edited by silvertip44; 08-25-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    16063 times
    Grandfather's working rig, watch and Bisley from an unknown holster maker in Colorado, 1920's.

and a close duplicate of it with my 1st year 2nd Gen.

Last edited by Cozmo; 08-25-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links