Colt Bisleys Shipped to Arizona
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Colt Bisleys Shipped to Arizona

Member #
    Liked
    71 times

Colt Bisleys Shipped to Arizona

In looking at this thread: https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...tml#post768499 I would say about 24 percent of Colt SAA shipped to Arizona around the turn of the century were Bisleys. Would any of you say that is an accurate statement?

Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Agarbers,
    My research is far from complete so I would only be guessing at a percentage of Bisley's being shipped. Yes they seemed to be popular back then but soon faded away when the more popular automatics and double actions came to market. If you want more accurate information then I would suggest getting the book A Study of the Colt Single Action Army by Graham, Kopec, and Moore. They have a couple detailed chapters devoted specifically to the Bisley and their production dates.
    Agarbers likes this.
    "My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
    Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow" Johnny Cash

Member #
    Liked
    1070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarbers View Post
    In looking at this thread: https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...tml#post768499 I would say about 24 percent of Colt SAA shipped to Arizona around the turn of the century were Bisleys. Would any of you say that is an accurate statement?
    Many cowboys favored the Bisley over the Colt SAA. Look for them in old cabinet photos wearing Bisleys. The pictured Bisley here was owned by Tom Cross as purchased in El Paso in 1903. Tom was a ranch foreman and ranch owner in El Paso County when that county was 3X as large as now.

On Jan 16, 1915 Tom Cross witnessed a shooting in a cow pens at Sierra Blanca, Texas and was called to testify in the trial at El Paso in 1919. One cattleman, H. F. Boykin, was gunned down by H. L. Roberson with a Winchester there according to a Nov 11, 1919 El Paso Herald. Roberson was manager of the "TO Ranch" in Mexico near the border.

During the 1920's-30's Tom was working his ranch in Kent County, Texas. But the dreaded "consumption" caught up with him, and he died near Brownsville, Texas while getting treatment. Someday I might do an article on this Bisley and its original owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6156 times
    Anecdotal evidence has shown many Bisleys arrived in Arizona. I have one that walked into a small gun shop in NM that I've never lettered, but the provenance suggests it was out West since new.

An easier question would be how many Bisleys were made and sold, compared to SAAs, regardless of where they were shipped. I suspect they were very popular at first all over America. They worked fine and last a long time. The Colt archives could tell us the numbers, if they'd do it. I think like lots of original designs that are altered, many people go with the original. But did Colt ever cancel the Bisley, before cancelling the SAA pre-war? Could you buy a Bisley in 1930 for example? I've never looked it up.
    LEO918 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4368 times
    Here's my Bisley with it's SAA brother both in .41 Colt caliber. The Bisley in the photo shipped to the "Wild West", Los Angeles CA...
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    645 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    Anecdotal evidence has shown many Bisleys arrived in Arizona. I have one that walked into a small gun shop in NM that I've never lettered, but the provenance suggests it was out West since new.

An easier question would be how many Bisleys were made and sold, compared to SAAs, regardless of where they were shipped. I suspect they were very popular at first all over America. They worked fine and last a long time. The Colt archives could tell us the numbers, if they'd do it. I think like lots of original designs that are altered, many people go with the original. But did Colt ever cancel the Bisley, before cancelling the SAA pre-war? Could you buy a Bisley in 1930 for example? I've never looked it up.
    Bisley models were produced 1894/1912 approx 44,000. Standard SAA's in that period approx 4 times as many
    the vast majority of Bisleys made between 1900 and 1912
    Last edited by cloverleaf; 03-31-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    LEO918, victorio1sw and Agarbers like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2549 times
    Pancho Villa liked the Bisley. Reports are it was his favorite pistol, no doubt it got a lot of use.

Of all the guns I did not buy- a Oklahoma Bisley, I passed on in the late 70's, is the only one that still makes me want to holler. lol
    Last edited by Ugly; 03-31-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    According to what I read Colt produced the last Bisley in 1914 but shipped the last one in 1918.

Member #
    Liked
    1070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post

Bisley production ended about 1915. I believe that the last Bisley sold was in 1921.

Member #
    Liked
    1070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
    Pancho Villa liked the Bisley. Reports are it was his favorite pistol, no doubt it got a lot of use.

Of all the guns I did not buy- a Oklahoma Bisley, I passed on in the late 70's, is the only one that still makes me want to holler. lol
    I am glad that you posted this picture! It is my understanding that Pancho had arthritis in his hands, and the Bisley was simply easier for him to handle than the Colt SAA.
    Agarbers likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links