Colt Forum banner

John P Moore’s Son New York

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Mattmatt61720 
#1 ·
Just found out my 1881 colt single action Army we ship to John P Moore sons in New York. Did they keep any sales records or shipping records after that? Is there anyway to find out where the gun went after reaching New York? Or is this just a dead end? any information would be extremely helpful thank you very much

#4 ·
No one saved those records. Only the Sharps rifle company records mention their shipments to H&G., but no serials are recorded. New York shipped guns have no history to attach unless
a family has had it forever with documentation. Only guns with western shipping locations have "color", because it is more likely they were used in that theater, although many Easterners brought guns with them when moving west Time has erased the memories and the records.

JP

#5 ·
I have an 1881 colt 45, single action Army. The grips are worn down so someone shot the holy hell out of it you can even feel on the wear of the grip where your hand would naturally fall. The numbers all match, but even in the letter from Colt it states that they don’t know the proper barrel links or what the original grips were. I may be just be up a creek as far as Chasing down any other information. Oh well I will just have to assume that this was the same gun used to kill Billy the kid as well as Jesse James

#6 ·
I have an 1881 colt 45, single action Army. The numbers all match, but even in the letter from Colt it states that they don’t know the proper barrel links or what the original grips were.
If you are referring to a Colt Archive Letter on your SAA, it's not really a question of whether or not Colt knows the barrel length or what the original grips were. Letters on this model often show "Not Listed" for both items and that means that they were standard issue, i. e. 7 1/2" barrel and one-piece wood grips. Anything out of the standard configuration was noted.

#7 ·
Here’s the kicker. It’s a 4 3/4 Barrel with eagle grips. Numbers match on cylinder, frame and trigger guard. How did barrel get shortened? I didn’t see numbers on grips but they fit well and have been on there a long time. (That’s a guess) I don’t think it’s overly special, I just love this stuff and wanted to find out as much as I can

#11 ·
It’s a 4 3/4 Barrel with eagle grips. Numbers match on cylinder, frame and trigger guard. How did barrel get shortened?
It's unusual that your SAA has a 4 3/4" barrel while the Colt Archive Letter says that the barrel length is "Not Listed". Because your barrel has the two-line Colt address you can be sure that this barrel was made in that length and was never shortened but it may not be the original barrel on your gun. Your gun's barrel should have the last four digits of the serial number stamped on the bottom. You may have to remove the ejector rod assembly to see it but the number would confirm whether or not the barrel has been replaced.

#23 · (Edited)
Two line. speaking of lines, i think you've about hit the end of the line with regard to destination info info. It's a good example of what appears to be a correct well used 4 3/4 barreled Colt SAA with caliber stamped upside down on TG. Not uncommon.
You say loading gate # matches serial. That isn't seen that often. Number on frame under TG match also?

#25 ·
I just had my local Smith give it a once over. He said all numbers match. I asked him about under ejector has said EVERYTHING. I really want to thank you guys for the great info. He bought a couple more spring for it an thinks he can improve timing and lock up. Should I just let it be and go on claiming it’s the gun that killed billy the kid , Hickcock and Dillan? Or should I make it a cock and dry fire? Thanks again. Boy it’s been shot, when you hold it you can feel the wear in the grips where your 2 middle fingers rest....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.