Working SAA and Holster 1940
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Working SAA and Holster 1940

Member #
    Liked
    2585 times

Working SAA and Holster 1940

Found this photo of a New Mexico Sheriff and his Colt from 1940- shows how a LEO might carry one back in the day. I remember seeing lawmen carrying SA revolvers when I was a kid- I asked my Dad about it and he said "that's the wrong type of gun." Didn't know what he meant at the time. The Gent in the photo seems pretty comfortable with his rig.
    Last edited by Ugly; 04-01-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    599 times
    Can anyone ID the holster?
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    12006 times
    What a great picture. He's wearing the holster exactly like Red Nichols describes the Brill was designed for. On a pants belt under a coat. Looks like a nicely built holster with a very distinct upper welt stitching that could be the big clue as to maker. Looks like the belt loop might be for a wider belt, though. At first I thought the grips were worn hard rubber but looks like smooth wood. Kind of cool to see a LEO carrying a SAA in the 40s. Now to go look through "Holstory" for that holster.
    Edit: Looking at "Holstory", Tom Threepersons actual holster has a similar stitching at the top of the welt.
    Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 04-01-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    Ugly and skwcoltguy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2585 times
    The photo is titled "A Deputy Sheriff in Mongollon New Mexico 1940" found it on Wekipedia.
    Thought it was interesting because it was a working rig on a modern era LEO. We know Skeeter carried a SAA when he was a cop for a while and other people in the early part of last century like Frank Hamer. But hard to find photos of them.

I saw a couple of LE people carrying SAR's when I was a kid- if you were a kid you could ask to see a cops side arm sometimes he would take it out of the holster unload it- and show it to you! did that once or twice, imagine that today! lol

Last edited by Ugly; 04-01-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    8908 times
    I am going to have to look for a picture I have somewhere. In 1977 I was flying my citabria from california to wisconsin. Weather forced me down for about three days at Murdo South Dakota. I somehow ended up riding around with the county sheriff "Mac" Mc Donald or something close to that last name. Mac wore a nickle colt SAA .45 with a 4 3/4" barrel. I took a picture of him standing by my plane when I left. He was quite a character. Drove a beat up red Comet with springs sticking up through the seat and had a single barrel 12 gauge! I would guess him in his 60`s at the time.
    Mac looked almost like that.

Member #
    Liked
    14184 times
    Great photo!

While I never saw it I heard my Dad describe a similar gun and lawman from the 30's. Small NM town that had the local Sheriff disappear on more than one occasion. The rough "old man" (wish now I could remember his name) that would always take his place was described by my father as well over 6', and 200+ lbs of muscle and a mean attitude. Either way when the local elected official was unwilling or unable to carry out his duties or flatly just couldn't be found he'd take over LE duties until the next election. As he wasn't white he'd never get elected but he was the real "law" enforcement in the area no matter what color your skin was.

Even before I knew what my Dad described, I envisioned a Hispanic version of the picture posted above.

There is more to the story but it was the "sheriff" that made an impression on me as a kid. My Dad was pushed off a bridge into the river by a group of boys and them trying to drown him after that was done. Dad's mongrel dog protecting him and biting off a finger or two and biting most of the other kids pretty bad. Kids and parents want the dog put down. Sheriff shows up, gets the real story out and boots the pack of kids off and lectures my Dad prior to booting him on his way as well. Tough old bird by all accounts. And as my Dad remembers it he packed a "old Colt six gun".

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    655 times
    Looks like the kind of guy that was unwilling to "suffer fools."
    Hootch56, skwcoltguy and Brewster like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2585 times

Found this old holster on the web.

"R. O. WEST MAKER MARFA TEXAS. I could not find any information on this maker. Both the belt and holster have the makers mark. The marks are worn, not very clear and hard to read on both pieces. The holster is very well made. The holster is in good condition with the original tie down with snap. The stitching appears to be in good condition. The holster and belt both have a basket weave design. Both items have been used a lot. The belt is 41 1/2" from where the buckle would be to the second hole. I believe the buckle and tip were probably silver and the owner took them for his new belt. The belt has 6 bullet loops that are firmly attached and will hold .44 cal cartridges"

Texas made.

-

Thought it was pretty neat- came with a gun belt that held 6 .44's It sold already has a rear ward cant or is it a cross draw?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...d-o-1916710911

To me it looks like something a lawman would carry a Colt in.
    Last edited by Ugly; 04-01-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    hwjhfs, Cozmo, MarkInTx and 3 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2424 times
    Great picture. That ol boy ain't no spring chicken. He was probably chasing outlaws in the 1920s or earlier with that gun.
    skwcoltguy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1390 times
    If you've never been to Mongollon New Mexico...it is an interesting place that is a LONG way from anywhere. Very pretty country, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon,_New_Mexico
    skwcoltguy, LEO918, Ugly and 1 others like this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links