SAA Pistoleros by Height
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: SAA Pistoleros by Height

Member #
    Liked
    42 times

SAA Pistoleros by Height

Reading the recent thread about James Arness and the opening scene of Gunsmoke got me to wondering how tall those guys really were. Below is a partial list of TV and movie shootists that we all should remember. I know there are plenty more but the cat interrupted me mid-research demanding to be fed (can you tell I'm retired?).

James Arness - 6' 7"
    Chuck Connors - 6' 6"
    Clint Walker - 6' 6"
    Clint Eastwood - 6' 4"
    The Duke - 6' 4"
    Dan Blocker - 6' 4"
    Richard Boone - 6' 1"
    Allen Ladd - 5' 6" Poor guy often had to stand on an off-camera lift to kiss his leading ladies!

It is said that only the Duke and Connors could swing/cock a Model 92 Winchester with one hand. Of course, Conners did it in every opening scene of the Rifleman. The Duke did it on horseback in what very likely was his most famous scene riding down the Ned Pepper gang in True Grit. Sadly, all are gone now except the Man With No Name.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    The Duke... not to be confused with the Duck of Death. Why not just use his real name? John Wayne.

Member #
    Liked
    2754 times
    Seems like our own Jim Martin is a pretty tall pistolero. Only thing is, he's the real deal.

Best regards,
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Always liked Allen Ladd, especially after I found out I was a 1/2" taller than him. Kinda give us vertically challenged old farts a felling that there's always hope (to win the lovely leading ladies).
    Ugly, Hopalong and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    I understand another device to enhance Ladd's stature on film was to shoot him walking beside a companion, but not full length, to hide that the companion was walking in a shallow trench. But I would happily trade a few inches of height to have a mean voice like Ladd.
    jrm, Hopalong and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8665 times
    People shrink with age. At his best my dad was 6ft 5"s but when old shrunk 2 or 3"s. Here is a picture I took with my wife and Clint Walker. Wife is right at 5ft 10"s. (She has a daughter 6ft 4"s). I would say Walker and my dad were built just alike and the same height at the same age. The agents published Clints height at 6ft 6"s. My best guess is that in that picture taken about seven years ago Walker is at 6ft 2 1/2" Like my dad was at about the same age (mid 80`s). I am 78 in two weeks. I was 6ft 2"s at 18. Now about 5ft 11 1/2. A couple pictures of my folks when they got married. Mom was 5ft 10"s same as my wife. Audie Murphy was short but the most decorated solider we ever had in this country.

Last edited by feralmerril; 04-09-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    rdamon, Ugly, scribbler and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
    The Duke... not to be confused with the Duck of Death. Why not just use his real name? John Wayne.
    Well , for one thing , his real name wasn't John Wayne , but I'm pretty sure most of us old guys know who the Duke was....

Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdamon View Post
    It is said that only the Duke and Connors could swing/cock a Model 92 Winchester with one hand. Of course, Conners did it in every opening scene of the Rifleman. The Duke did it on horseback in what very likely was his most famous scene riding down the Ned Pepper gang in True Grit.
    I own a Model 1892 carbine that is identical to one of the three rifles that Chuck Connors used during The Rifleman TV series (1958-1963). My gun was made in 1925 and is chambered in .44-40. It has the large cocking ring with screw adaptor that engages the trigger each time the gun is cocked. I'm 6'-1" and tried to swing/cock the rifle (unloaded of course) just like Connors did. My arm wasn't long enough, and I embedded the front sight into my right nipple as it came around. This was NOT a pleasant experience! For those who might be interested, here's a photo of my gun.

Rusty Edwards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1529 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthfndr985 View Post
    Always liked Allen Ladd, especially after I found out I was a 1/2" taller than him. Kinda give us vertically challenged old farts a felling that there's always hope (to win the lovely leading ladies).
    I like Cheryl Ladd!
    Rick likes this.
    A lawyer, but NOT YOUR LAWYER.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
    Real Name? You mean Marion Morrison
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links