This is why most 1st gen SAAs are Bubba'd
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: This is why most 1st gen SAAs are Bubba'd

Member #
    Liked
    755 times

This is why most 1st gen SAAs are Bubba'd

American Rifleman from 1930. Almost 90 years old so I am pretty sure I am not violating copyright laws. Talks about the 'slip gun' where you take the trigger out. Yikes. Big name writers are endorsing it. All the rage. Ok, if you say so. Look at the hammer modification and the mainspring modification. Any concerns about safety then?
    20190401_175548.jpg20190401_175553.jpg
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9508 times
    A piece like this wasn't 'Bubba'd' - it was purpose-built by a gunsmith for a man who had a perceived need for one.

Back in the day, men 'knew' about guns and how to handle them - they treated them as the tool that they were, and not the toy that too many do, today, so understanding the nature of the 'Slip Gun' wasn't any sort of a shock.

Elmer Keith even wrote bout one in 'Sixguns'.

Today, folks get their panties in a wad about what used to be so commonplace, all those years ago - largely because society wanted to take umbrage about every little thing.

Many old SAAs are 'challenged' largely because no one had any idea that there were better screwdrivers - they used the ones they found at home, and went at it with a vengeance, same as they did with steel wool and wire wheels.

That, and because for decades, 'gun cleaning' consisted of squirting more oil on and in to them.
    Last edited by dogface6; 04-09-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1849 times
    Right on Dogface.
    jringo8769 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1947 times
    One has to keep things in perspective. In Keith's early days, Colt SAA's were cheap surplus guns with little value over that of a tool. They were not worshiped as idols. As said above, that Colt was built by a gunsmith for a specific purpose. So it's no more "Bubba'ed" than the #5 or other Croft guns.

Most 1st generation SAA's are in rough shape because they were improperly stored and/or improperly refinished.
    jringo8769 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    755 times
    Understood guys, but.....well..... then there are no bubba'd guns anywhere!...after all the nail for a firing pin fix was done for a specific purpose too....a workable fix on the cheap. Drivers license numbers etched into the side of a Colt Trooper was done for a specific purpose... my old 1873 Winchester with some previous owners initials scratched across the stock certainly had a purpose for that owner......We still would call those bubba'd guns today. Sorry, but I see a SAA like the one in the photo with that hammer....its bubba'd!
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1518 times
    I think this was done to celebrate a hard night of drinking at the Long-branch saloon while on the way to your horse so everyone will know you have a Colt and are a real tough cowboy.
    Or, maybe Bubba working on a new bump stock of the day ?

I can't think of any use for it.
    dandak likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11555 times
    Keith was a big fan of slip gun shooting but said it spoiled shooting SAAs the normal way so switched back. I bought this "fitzafied" long butt grip assembly for no apparent reason and thought about having a slip hammer made up until I came to my senses. Hugh, or Swamprat bought it from me.

CraigC and Cocked & Locked like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1947 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandak View Post
    Understood guys, but.....well..... then there are no bubba'd guns anywhere!...after all the nail for a firing pin fix was done for a specific purpose too....a workable fix on the cheap. Drivers license numbers etched into the side of a Colt Trooper was done for a specific purpose... my old 1873 Winchester with some previous owners initials scratched across the stock certainly had a purpose for that owner......We still would call those bubba'd guns today. Sorry, but I see a SAA like the one in the photo with that hammer....its bubba'd!
    Then by your logic all guns that have been modified are "Bubba'ed". Of course, I have multi-thousand dollar best grade custom Ruger sixguns that some collectors refer to as "butchered" so there's always a few in the crowd.
    jringo8769 and BigMuddy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1308 times
    True, a great many SAAs have been modified over the years. The parts are so easy to change, even non-gunsmiths can alter guns to their own desires. All the more reason to keep the remaining original SAAs in their original state, so we at least have some guns that are truly historical artifacts. I put guns that have been modified in their era of use on the frontier in the "original" category, as they are still of cultural and historical interest.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hard to imagine that 100+ years ago someone would purchase a Colt SAA and not be aware that they were ruining the future value for collectors when they used/modified the weapon.

Wonder if in the next 100 years people will be cussing the "Bubbas" that are today modifying Glocks?

Dan
    CraigC and Prowbar like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links