Nickel Peeling
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Nickel Peeling

Member #
    Liked
    2246 times

Nickel Peeling

Took my Colt SAA shooting today and found the nickel platting peeling off.DSCN0784.JPGDSCN0785.JPGDSCN0786.JPGThe Colt is from 1965 and it is a Commemorative.DSCN0767.JPG Would you leave as is or re-plate? It's a good shooter POA = POI. The photo with the white box is before shooting.

Member #
    Liked
    9508 times
    Re-plating the cylinder is a fairly simple thing - I'd do that.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    I had the impression that nickel finish was tough.

I bought this second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt a few months ago. It was in super nice condition. I've been shooting it but at my home range. It's been stored in a soft lined padded case in the safe otherwise.

I shot it Sunday in a cowboy action shooting match. When I got home and started cleaning guns, I noteced a heavy deposit of something scraped across the backstrap. I rubbed it off to find scratches that look to be through the plating. I've not tried buffing the spot for fear it would just wear away to base metal. I have no idea how or when this happened. I don't notice it until we got home. My wife was the one to put it beck in the case. I was standing right there when she did it. It wasn't dropped or banged against anything that I remember.

Any chance it will polish out? Any suggestions on how to repair would be appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    13823 times
    The nickel peeling may be a result of being a commorative but congratz to both of you for using the guns for their intended purpous. If you want it to look new........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2522 times
    I've heard that some of the more aggressive penetrating/lubricating oils will creep under the nickel and allow it to blow off. I saw this on a USFA that the owner had stored in Clenzoil. I'm curious about how both of these were oiled and stored.

JP

Member #
    Liked
    481 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman View Post
    I had the impression that nickel finish was tough.

I bought this second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt a few months ago. It was in super nice condition. I've been shooting it but at my home range. It's been stored in a soft lined padded case in the safe otherwise.

I shot it Sunday in a cowboy action shooting match. When I got home and started cleaning guns, I noteced a heavy deposit of something scraped across the backstrap. I rubbed it off to find scratches that look to be through the plating. I've not tried buffing the spot for fear it would just wear away to base metal. I have no idea how or when this happened. I don't notice it until we got home. My wife was the one to put it beck in the case. I was standing right there when she did it. It wasn't dropped or banged against anything that I remember.

Any chance it will polish out? Any suggestions on how to repair would be appreciated.
    From your picture, I don't see nickel pealing. Instead it looks like an area with a frosty, rather than shiny-smooth finish. That may have been caused by light corrosion that didn't go all the way through the nickel. Don't use a buffing wheel! Use a fine paste polish, such as is used to polish old antique silver plated (quadra-plated) bowls, plates, etc. Apply with a soft cloth to the affected area and rub a few times, then wipe clean with a clean cloth. Inspect the result and proceed further if warranted.

Member #
    Liked
    481 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ussmanlovede36 View Post
    Took my Colt SAA shooting today and found the nickel platting peeling off.DSCN0784.JPGDSCN0785.JPGDSCN0786.JPGThe Colt is from 1965 and it is a Commemorative.DSCN0767.JPG Would you leave as is or re-plate? It's a good shooter POA = POI. The photo with the white box is before shooting.
    Nickel plating will peal off if the polished steel surface had some waxy residue on it when plated. Some stick polishing compounds are made of an abrasive bonded together with a wax-like substance. If that is not totally removed from the steel surface prior to plating, then the nickel has no "anchor-pattern" to bond to.

With a relatively new gun, I might contact Colt to see what they can do. If Colt now does plating in-house, they may be able to strip that nickel and re-plate (and get it right this time!). Pealing from the front of the cylinder is a common event after firing. A poor anchor-pattern on the front of the cylinder allows the nickel to be blown off with early firing (after only a few shots fired). That kind of pealing could have been prevented by polishing the front of cylinder with a courser "sand paper". With your Colt SAA pealing off the side of the frame, I don't think the job was done correctly.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1031 times
    Hate to see that,hope it works out whatever you do. Pete
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    3759 times
    What Rick said!

Now you don’t have to baby it anymore. Shooting a nickel SAA is fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    From your picture, I don't see nickel pealing. Instead it looks like an area with a frosty, rather than shiny-smooth finish. That may have been caused by light corrosion that didn't go all the way through the nickel. Don't use a buffing wheel! Use a fine paste polish, such as is used to polish old antique silver plated (quadra-plated) bowls, plates, etc. Apply with a soft cloth to the affected area and rub a few times, then wipe clean with a clean cloth. Inspect the result and proceed further if warranted.
    Flitz?

It wasn't corrosion. Abrasion. Wherever happened happened within minutes from shooting the last stage at the match to putting it in the case. The smear of material on it looked like it had been raked hard over wood. The cowboy stages are made of wood as are the loading and unloading tables. But they put down carpet on the loading tables and any place guns are staged. And the handguns are carried in holsters anyway.

I was the very last shooter at the very last stage of the match. I even showed the gun again to an old shooting buddy at the unloading table that has many Colts. I even made a comment about what the previous owner would think about someone shooting black powder loads in a gun he'd keep in the safe for just short of 50 years. Had it been damaged at that time I would have noticed. The truck was less then 30' away and only minutes before packing it away. My wife actually put it in the case but I was right there. (You think I should blame her?)

But again, I was under the impression that nickel finish was a durable finish. No so?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links