Colt 1891 SAA Letter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Colt 1891 SAA Letter

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Colt 1891 SAA Letter

Just got a response back from Colt stating they were "unable to locate any information" on my SAA Frontier Six Shooter from '91 ser. 141xxx. They say "the records were evidently lost or destroyed many years ago".

Has anyone else received such a reply? Is that serial range a problem for some reason?

I am very disappointed to say the least!

I know guns made in 1891 around my serial number were used in the Johnson County War in Wyoming.
    So I was hoping.....................oh well.............
    MiddleJohn

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    John;
    Don't give up on your research. Did you call Colt Archive Properties or Colt Manufacturing? I am not for sure but have heard that they are two different divisions. There were 2 Colt SAA in the 141000 serial number range taken from the so called Invaders by the US Cavalry ( #141080 and #141475) after the invasion referred to as the Johnson County War.
    I am doing research on a Colt 1877 41cal that was possibly connected to the Johnson County War. I requested and received a letter on it from Colt Archive Properties ( they are a joy to work with). My revolver went to Schuyler, Hartley & Graham in New York. Their records have since been given to Cody Historical Museum in Cody, WY. I am now researching the records - big job. But don't give up keep looking. RR

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by win61 View Post
    John;
    Don't give up on your research. Did you call Colt Archive Properties or Colt Manufacturing? I am not for sure but have heard that they are two different divisions. There were 2 Colt SAA in the 141000 serial number range taken from the so called Invaders by the US Cavalry ( #141080 and #141475) after the invasion referred to as the Johnson County War.
    I am doing research on a Colt 1877 41cal that was possibly connected to the Johnson County War. I requested and received a letter on it from Colt Archive Properties ( they are a joy to work with). My revolver went to Schuyler, Hartley & Graham in New York. Their records have since been given to Cody Historical Museum in Cody, WY. I am now researching the records - big job. But don't give up keep looking. RR
    Hey win61,how do you go about researching the cody archives ? I have one that went to Hartley and Graham also

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnb View Post
    Just got a response back from Colt stating they were "unable to locate any information" on my SAA Frontier Six Shooter from '91 ser. 141xxx. They say "the records were evidently lost or destroyed many years ago".

Has anyone else received such a reply? Is that serial range a problem for some reason?

I know guns made in 1891 around my serial number were used in the Johnson County War in Wyoming.
    Sure, I have gotten too many of these letters! If yours wasn't a Colt SAA, then there might be hope of finding it shipped much later than 1891. In about 1970, the Colt SAA serial numbers (up through about 343,000) were key punched and organized into an index as to what ledger book that number can be found. Most likely your serial number was recorded in error in the shipping ledger, or that number entry is now no longer readable.

A couple of days ago, I posted a copy of a partial page from the Colt M1877 DA shipping ledgers in 38 caliber (again attached here). It illustrated so well what the Colt Historians are seeing, and why some of these guns are "no record guns". For more comments on that page, please see that posting under my user name. It will be a real education for many on the suject of factory records.

I recall getting "no record letters" on Colt SAA's in the 122xxx, 129xxx, and 135xxx serial number ranges. There were probably others.

I also get the sense that you might be hoping that the Colt shipping ledger will confirm that your gun was either shipped to one of the Johnson County War participants, or to a town that is associated with one of the same. This is not likely. Most shipments went to big wholesaler/retailers in places like NYC, Cincinnati, and St. Louis.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 04-15-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrometank View Post
    Hey win61,how do you go about researching the cody archives ? I have one that went to Hartley and Graham also

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Will PM you.

Member #
    Liked
    1718 times
    14025X will not letter. 11084X will not letter.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    RR

I did contact Colt Archive Properties and heard back from Beverly Jean Hayes their Historian.
    She sent her regrets and didn't charge for looking.

Are you suggesting I contact the Cody Historical Museum? How does one research their records?
    MiddleJohn

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    And now 141xxx will not letter either..........
    MiddleJohn

Member #
    Liked
    1836 times
    I have a 1890 SAA, SN 1427xx that lettered to Paris TX, received the letter from Colt.
    win61 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnb View Post

If you try to letter Colts long enough, eventually a "records were evidently lost or destroyed" response will result. I haven't had problems with 141xxx before, and got letters on at least these two in that range:

14115x (45 x 7-1/2")
    141xxx (44-40 x 7-1/2")

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links