Colt SAA Long Fluted Variety - Has There Been A Showing & Exchange Of Info On These?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Colt SAA Long Fluted Variety - Has There Been A Showing & Exchange Of Info On These?

Member #
    Liked
    485 times

Colt SAA Long Fluted Variety - Has There Been A Showing & Exchange Of Info On These?

This one is not the easiest to find. The Colt letter reads:

Serial Number 3307xx
    Caliber 41
    Bbl Length 4-3/4"
    Finish Blue
    Stocks Not Listed
    Sold/Shipped To Belnap Hardware & Manufacturing Co.
    Louisville, KY
    Date
    May 13, 1914
    No. of Same Type 2

NOTE: There must be little formatting on this site. I tried tabs, no luck. I had the columns nicely lined up using the space bar, but those extra spaces disappeared. Did I miss some other way to create columns here? Just asking. I'm relatively new to site, but very familiar with many antique guns.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 04-16-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    I know of these calibers:
    32-20
    38-40
    41 Colt
    44 Russian & Special
    45 Colt

I have never seen or heard of a 44-40, and that seems very strange, with it being the 2nd most popular caliber of the Colt M1878 DA's.

Member #
    Liked
    3765 times
    Love the full flutes.
    The grips have been recut.
    The color is right but there’s no way the points would have survived 85 years that sharp. Plus they weren’t lacquered in the checkering.
    victorio1sw likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionBill View Post
    Love the full flutes.
    The grips have been recut.
    The color is right but there’s no way the points would have survived 85 years that sharp. Plus they weren’t lacquered in the checkering.
    Previously this gun was purchased with no grips. I have a nice original pair of deep set medallion fleur-de-lis grips, but after 45 years I have yet to find a gun (needing grips) that they will fit. Of course, any letter that says "Stocks Not Listed" implies standard grips of that time were on the gun (in this case, Rubber). I had the grips made by Paul Persinger. Actually I put a light coat of oil finish on these grips, as Paul likes to leave them with just a stained finish. I do wish that a wood filler had been used, and will request that next time. If I put more oil on the grips, then they get very shiny and new-looking. I would never try to "put wear" on a new pair of grips. That concept is as Nuts as cooking Ivory Grips to make them Crack. The craftsman who made them would have every right to cry over someone's destruction of his work! But it's my gun to keep, so having grips with sharp chequering doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 04-16-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1580 times
    The lack of .44-40 Long Flute Single Action Army revolvers is addressed by Graham, Kopec & Moore in their book A Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver.

First, one must understand why the long flute model even came about. It simply was a means to utilize the surplus cylinders remaining from the discontinuation of the Colt 1878 Double Action revolver in 1905. So, it was not a special order feature. It simply was a measure of thrift! That's why offering a 3rd generation SAA revolver with a special order feature of Long Flutes is ludicrous as it was never a "feature" at all!

In any event, Graham, Kopec, & Moore states that in the 300,000 to 338,000 serial number range, .44-40 production was only 5.5% of production. Indications were that Frontier models were being manufactured in blocks at that time, as were other calibers and models, so the lack of a Long Flute model in .44-40 was not curious at all when one is aware of that fact. It simply was produced at a time when a run of .44-40 revolvers was deemed not necessary to create adequate inventory.

Besides, at the time, when one was unlikely to collect these as they were purchased as a tool, did anyone even notice the difference, especially if one had only a single revolver in their possession? Probably, at best, it might have been noticed as a curiosity at the time of purchase in a hardware store when alongside other SAA revolvers in a display case. " Hey, look at that one! The flutes are different than the rest!"

And a reminder: NEVER fire a Colt Long Flute Model with anything other than black powder! Although produced at a time when Colt SAA revolvers were built to withstand smokeless powder pressures, the cylinders date from, at best, 1905, and possibly from several years before. No guarantees that the cylinder fitted to your revolver isn't from the black powder era. Firing a smokeless powder round could prove disastrous!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7010 times

Has There Been A Showing & Exchange Of Info

Recent discussion .

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...-registry.html

If you search "Long Flute" more discussion will turn up . Several are listed in our serial survivor list here .

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...ml#post1349498

PLEASE when viewing the older threads just read . Resist bumping them back with a reply as many times the photos are gone as are some of the members involved . Thanks .
    Rick Bowles likes this.
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Victorio, While reading archive threads I noticed mention of a Forum member that had done some registry work on Long Flutes some years back. I posted a request for info on this member a couple of weeks back. Got no response. I’ve also seen mention of a registry done by two men that had 114 known Long Flutes at that time. Kopec’s Study has a chapter of information on the LFs. Very interesting reading. Still searching for more information. Will pass along anything new.

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    It still seems strange to me that there are no known 44 WCF long flutes. You would think that if all those other calibers were available, there would have been a couple of 44 cylinders still around. Or was 44 not as popular a caliber in the '78? I have one and I know I've seen others, or could the 44 been so popular in the '78 that there literally were no left over 44 cylinders to be used? I'll have to go back and look, but I could swear someone listed a long flute on GB recently that was shipped to London and then converted to 45 Boxer?
    victorio1sw likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20834 times
    A couple pictures on my LF SAA in 45 Colt. When I got it, it had seen severe buffing and had been heavily nickel plated. I de-nickeled it; tried to flatten many of the surfaces; and give it an old looking appearance. I would certainly love to find an original LF like the one you posted.

DSCN2760 (1).jpg
    Last edited by saintclair; 04-17-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20834 times
    As an aside, I purchased an extra long flute cylinder (45 Colt) from a fellow Colt Forum member a couple years ago. I suspect someone may have had an original LF SAA and felt that he wanted a standard cylinder in it, so he made the swap.
    mrcvs and victorio1sw like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links