How often should I check screws for tightness?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How often should I check screws for tightness?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    230 times

How often should I check screws for tightness?

I have a 60 year old 2nd Gen Colt Single Action Army commemorative model that I bought a few months ago. It had never been shot but I had a gunsmith look it over and he said the timing was good and it should make a nice shooter so I took it to the range and shot around 100 rounds through the gun. I took it home and cleaned it and put it away but looking it over a week or so ago I noticed that when cocking it the trigger guard felt like it moved a bit so I got out my trusty Brownells SAA screwdriver set and checked and sure enough, the three screws securing the trigger guard to the frame were a little loose (maybe 1/4 turn). I snugged them up and the gun feels tight again but it got me to wondering, is this normal or should I have the gun looked at in more detail? Or just check the screws periodically to make sure they are snug? The hammer screw was also a little loose and the screws securing the back strap to the frame were also a little loose. I didn't over-tighten them but just carefully snugged them all up.
    Last edited by SDRider; 04-25-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12981 times
    The blue strength loctite is recommended by avid shooters for keeping SAA screws from backing out. Loctite even makes a purple strength now that’s little weaker, but I have not tried it myself.
    🔫 WWYS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    481 times
    The bigger the bang, the more it occurs.
    lounick and victorio1sw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1505 times
    I check mine everytime I clean them.

NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    We have a bunch of Uberti Cattleman revolvers that we use for Cowboy Action Shooting. I check screws as routine before each match. Mary had an ejector housing fly off while shooting her stage. Fortunately, everything was found - including the screw. She wasn't happy. That's when I started checking all the screws.

I don't use any kind of thread locker because I clean them often.
    victorio1sw and Dave_T like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman View Post
    We have a bunch of Uberti Cattleman revolvers that we use for Cowboy Action Shooting. I check screws as routine before each match. Mary had an ejector housing fly off while shooting her stage. Fortunately, everything was found - including the screw. She wasn't happy. That's when I started checking all the screws.

I don't use any kind of thread locker because I clean them often.
    I had that happen with my son's gun at the range. We found all the parts except the screw but his is a Colt Cowboy so I just ordered a replacement for it online. I don't care if it's original to the gun or not. I used a dab of blue loctite on it and it hasn't come out since.

I guess I'll just start checking them at each cleaning (which is always right after shooting).
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    481 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
    I have a 60 year old 2nd Gen Colt Single Action Army commemorative model that I bought a few months ago. It had never been shot but I had a gunsmith look it over and he said the timing was good and it should make a nice shooter so I took it to the range and shot around 100 rounds through the gun. I took it home and cleaned it and put it away but looking it over a week or so ago I noticed that when cocking it the trigger guard felt like it moved a bit so I got out my trusty Brownells SAA screwdriver set and checked and sure enough, the three screws securing the trigger guard to the frame were a little loose (maybe 1/4 turn). I snugged them up and the gun feels tight again but it got me to wondering, is this normal or should I have the gun looked at in more detail? Or just check the screws periodically to make sure they are snug? The hammer screw was also a little loose and the screws securing the back strap to the frame were also a little loose. I didn't over-tighten them but just carefully snugged them all up.
    These screws may have been a bit loose to begin with. Or they weren't torqued up enough, and the shooting just jarred them "looser" (if that is a valid word). I cannot give you the factory-intended inch-pounds of torque for these various screws (if such exists). So next time you shoot this Colt SAA, check the screws before and after -- and learn from experience. I think too that the jarring that a Colt SAA experiences during the firing of normal loads will eventually loosen many of its screws in due time.

I can highly recommend Brownell's single-piece hollow ground screwdrivers. However, I like to round the screwdriver corners on a wetstone. This reduces the possibility of damaging the surrounding screw holes (wearing away blue or nickel), while leaving the bottom edges of the screwdriver blades sharp for proper engagement at the bottom of the screw slots. The first time you might gently slip out of a screw slot, this rounding will become greatly appreciated! No one taught me this little rounding modification, but one learns by experience how to do things better.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 04-25-2019 at 11:28 PM.
    dallascowboy and mrcvs like this.

Member #
    Liked
    335 times
    SDRider,

Remove the oils from the screws, use a little Clear Nail Polish on the screw threads............Choosing the wrong Loc-Tite can be troublesome and expensive.

If you want to use a Loc-Tite product, choose Loc-Tite Thread locker #222

Tom
    dandak likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1341 times
    I've been using this on various projects and I like it pretty well, so far:

Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3 Threadmate Threadlocker, -65 to 165 Degree F, 5mL Tube, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088YEGXM..._etVWCbD9VQX2G
    ---
    "Bridgeport?" said I, pointing.
    "Camelot," said he.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    The first thing I did when I received my new SAA was check the screws. One of the TG screws was inexcusably loose right from the factory. I agree, blue Loctite is the way to go. I use it on my Vaqueros and Colt clones, too.
    I used to be very indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links