Philippine Scout With Colt Model "P"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Philippine Scout With Colt Model "P"

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times

Philippine Scout With Colt Model "P"

Heres another photo of the venerable SAA this time in the Philippines- just found it tonight thought some might like to see it.

No idea of the timeline of this photo, the Colt SAA-looks to be a 7.5 .45. Appears to be 1910s,20's uniform and equipment? Any ideas? Is that a Krag rifle? A O3 Springfield?

We know the Colt SAA was re-issued during the Moro revolt- is it possible the photo is that early?

"A well armed Philippine scout" was the photos caption. No date, name or unit.
    Last edited by Ugly; 04-30-2019 at 03:35 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    587 times

"Artillery" Colts

I love these old photos. Originals can be difficult to find. Here are two photos in my collection. They show three US soldiers with "Artillery" Colts during the Spanish American War or Philippine insurrection. The man on the left in the second photo is Orville E. Goforth from Havana, Illinois. He enlisted in the Army during 1898.

Rusty Edwards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ugly, LEO918, GCuster and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10929 times
    All the gear he is wearing is pre-WWI, but the Philippine scouts probably got the hand me downs.

lounick, dante and Ugly like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    271 times
    Floor plate on the rifle, so a 1903. Krags have the side loading magazine and a solid wood bottom. Puts date after 1903 and likely several years later.
    lounick, Kurusu, LEO918 and 2 others like this.
    Don Spires

Patron Life NRA
    NMLRA CLA
    Tennessee Longhunters

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    "All the gear he is wearing is pre-WWI, but the Philippine scouts probably got the hand me downs."

"Floor plate on the rifle, so a 1903. Krags have the side loading magazine and a solid wood bottom. Puts date after 1903 and likely several years later."

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ugly; 04-30-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    11712 times
    That's a great picture. My grandfather was born in the Philippines in 1880 and died in CA. in 1980. I have his 1909 journal packed with old onion paper gov't and military documents where he was a telegrapher. He got the message of an earthquake in San Francisco in 1906. A city he eventually moved to. He was in Portugal ready to move to Cuba but relatives convinced him to come to Hawaii instead. If he had gone to Cuba I wouldn't own guns and would be in line right now for my monthly rations of toilet paper, bread, and a little meat.

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    My FIL was a Philippine Scout so I am quite interested in them..

Wish I had talked to him more about it while he was still alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Scouts

"As MacArthur’s forces, supported by the guerrillas, liberated the Philippine Islands, the surviving Philippine Scouts stepped forward and rejoined the U.S. Army. The Filipino guerrillas joined them, and the U.S. Army set up new Philippine Scout units, reconstituting the old Philippine Division "

He retired from the US Army some time in the late 40's.
    Last edited by Ugly; 04-30-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    lounick and Kerz like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10929 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhunter View Post
    Floor plate on the rifle, so a 1903. Krags have the side loading magazine and a solid wood bottom. Puts date after 1903 and likely several years later.
    Ammunition belts for the Krag had open loops that held the ammunition, where the cartridge belt shown is for the 5 round 1903 clips. Each pocket held two five round clips. The early belts had the eagle snaps as shown in the photo. This is the Model 1903 Cartridge Belt with the last patent date of July 1907, as manufactured by the Mills Woven Cartridge Belt Co. Mills devised a way of weaving the belts as almost one continuous piece. In the photo you can seee where the pockets were woven onto the belt rather than sewn on.

Clip is later steel variety.

Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    A few years ago I bought a batch of family material dealing largely with the Spanish-American War and the Philippines. I got it from a "picker" who bought it all somewhere while traveling. One Thomas L. Manion accumulated what seemed like countless medals 1898 through 1908. He was partly with the Secret Service during his time in the Philippines, and I got his facsimile signature stamp. He was also involved with the Manila Police, as evidenced by one of many badges in the batch. There were many previously unpublished old photos taken while in the Philippines. One shows Manion at his desk with "war trophies" hanging all over the wall.

The guy went on to apply for a job with the Dallas, TX police in 1909, and no doubt was immediately hired with his past experience of doing undercover work. I have his 1910-12 "black book", used for keeping notes while doing investigations, with a number of saloon proprietors recognized (some of the best informants!).

But other medals etc prove that there was a lasting involvement with the U.S. military, such as a 1916-18 Texas Cavalry medal (I never heard of this unit before!).

The SAD Fact about all of this came to light when I asked "What happened to his guns"? I was told that they were previously sold. To who, I have no idea, but all of this materiel should have stayed together. And the photos, medals, law badges, etc mentioned above are just the tip of the iceberg! I hope to someday locate these missing guns.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 05-01-2019 at 05:36 AM.
    GCuster, Kerz, Wyatt Burp and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times

Here is another photo of some Spanish American war troopers one with a SAA, 1898- Captioned "Spanish American Soldiers relieving the boredom of camp life" "Standing, from left to right, are: Ed Vick, Ed Walsh, and Bob Ray."

https://sharetngov.tnsosfiles.com/ts...shamerican.htm

From "The Volunteer State Goes To War"

Last edited by Ugly; 05-01-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    Ruster likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links