A. H. Hardy Hand Tooled Holster For Colt SAA 7-1/2" Barrel -- Made In Hyannis, Nebr?
Like Tree22Likes
  • 9 Post By victorio1sw
  • 6 Post By johnh
  • 3 Post By victorio1sw
  • 2 Post By SteveR
  • 1 Post By Wyatt Burp
  • 1 Post By victorio1sw

Thread: A. H. Hardy Hand Tooled Holster For Colt SAA 7-1/2" Barrel -- Made In Hyannis, Nebr?

Member #
    Liked
    651 times

A. H. Hardy Hand Tooled Holster For Colt SAA 7-1/2" Barrel -- Made In Hyannis, Nebr?

I bought this holster in about 1964, and at the time it appeared to be old. Made of very heavy leather, it was hand tooled in Floral Patterns. On the skirt, under the pouch is stamped simply "A. H. Hardy".

Some of you may have some additional info on Hardy, but this is what I have found so far:

Capt. Albert Howard Hardy (born May 6, 1876 in Leigh, Colfax Co., NE) supposedly ran a Saddle Shop in Hyannis, Nebr 1894-1900's, and moved to Denver in 1912. During 1910-30 he was also a trick shooter and ammunition salesman, working for such as Peters Cartridge Co.

1896 Omaha (NE) CD – Albert H. Hardy “Saddler” for Marks Bros in Omaha, NE.
    Sept 14, 1898 – Married Francis Margaret Finan. At the time, Albert was living at Hyannis, NE and Francis at Leigh, NE.
    1900 Omaha (NE) CD – NL in Omaha.
    1901-03 Lincoln (NE) CD’s – Albert H. Hardy NL.
    1905-10 Lincoln (NE) CD’s – Albert H. Hardy “Traveling salesman (or agent)”.
    1910 Census - Albert H. Hardy (age 34) “Demonstrator, Cartridge Co.” at Lincoln, Lancaster Co., NE.
    1911 Lincoln (NE) CD – Albert H. Hardy “Traveling agent”.
    1912 Lincoln (NE) CD – Albert H. Hardy “moved to Denver”.
    1917 Draft - Albert Howard Hardy, born May 6, 1876, “Salesman, Peters Cartridge Co.” living in Denver, CO.
    1930 Census - A. H. Hardy “Salesman” Beverly Hills, CA.
    1931-38 CD’s - Albert H. Hardy living in Beverly Hills, California listed “Salesman”.
    1940 Census - By 1935 A. H. Hardy was living in Los Angeles, CA and working as “Leather Craftsman” there.
    Albert Howard Hardy died Aug 13, 1950 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1321 times
    I have had a number of Hardy holsters. Very nice. Born 1876, died 1950. Amazing the changes in the world he would have seen in his lifetime. Probably more changes in a person's lifestyle in that period of living than any other time in history. The Frontier, WW1, the roaring 20s, prohibition, the depression, WW2, post war prosperity. Horses to cars and airplanes, telephones, electric lights, radio, television, etc. A lot to see in a lifetime.

Member #
    Liked
    651 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    I have had a number of Hardy holsters. Very nice. Born 1876, died 1950. Amazing the changes in the world he would have seen in his lifetime. Probably more changes in a person's lifestyle in that period of living than any other time in history. The Frontier, WW1, the roaring 20s, prohibition, the depression, WW2, post war prosperity. Horses to cars and airplanes, telephones, electric lights, radio, television, etc. A lot to see in a lifetime.
    All very true and interesting!

When A. H. Hardy was 10, Geronimo was running ragged 1/3 of the US Army in Arizona & Mexico. When 14 the last Indian "battle" was fought at Wounded Knee. In 1898 the Spanish War proved that the USA could be a World Power. The Mexican Border Wars 1910-18 was the last opportunity for a Cavalryman to ride a horse in battle. Then the 30 years wars. FDR was elected for four terms, and younger Americans never knew any other president. After 1945 the American families were no longer predominantly on farms, ranches, and in small towns. To get a job they had to move to the big cities. In 1947 the Roswell incident began a series of curious events, and these are still playing out. The Interstate highways are being built. Another war in Korea.
    lounick, jringo8769 and jcmh1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    Antique leather has been a weakness of mine and that is just a nicely made & carved holster...
    lounick and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Beautiful holster! What vintage is the SAA tucked into it?

Member #
    Liked
    11712 times
    I know very little of Hardy holsters but that one sure has an old west style compared to thethose I've seen pictures of. Here's a Hardy that popped up in a thread that Red Nichols identified.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...er-1940-a.html
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    651 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxTrapper View Post
    Beautiful holster! What vintage is the SAA tucked into it?
    SN 241075, a 44-40 shipped in 1903.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    651 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    I know very little of Hardy holsters but that one sure has an old west style compared to thethose I've seen pictures of. Here's a Hardy that popped up in a thread that Red Nichols identified.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...er-1940-a.html
    Thanks for the link to Red's description and pics. I may have gotten some of my info from him, but am now trying to confirm where I got the 1894-1900 Hyannis, NE location. I have one nationwide Bradstreet dated 1899, and will look there under Hyannis, NE.

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    Very well said...

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Liked
    501 times
    All very useful. In at least one reference he is misidentified as having been only in CO when instead he is best known for his work in CA. Many thanks for the other info :-).

His marks (more info about him in my book Holstory):

1 mrks.png 2 mrks (8).jpg 2 mrks (9).JPG

Frankly he likely wouldn't be known at all in modern times if it weren't for the Hardy-Cooper shoulder holster; which was Hardy's copy of Heiser's spring shoulder holster with an added slot for the belt as suggested by Cooper; and briefly made by Sparks in the '70s. Proving the point that "holster design is a science -- but it isn't rocket science". Cooper appears to have met up with Cap Hardy after WWII. I'm thinking of adding a slot to a Rogers holster and calling it a Nichols-Rogers holster :-).

One also reads about him as a maker in Ed McGivern's Book (it's actual title) where his holsters are spoken of highly.

I have about 20 lines for Hardy in my chronology that overall consists of thousands of lines; my favorite is his appearance 25 Nov 1938 in the LA Times: "Clark Gable Tries Leather Artwork" and includes Gary Cooper. Hardy had no effect on the holstory of the 20th century so I keep him in my files as an 'Indiana Jones'; a Big Bang Theory reference: ("did you ever notice, that if Indiana Jones had never existed, the movie would have turned out exactly the same?").

Turnerriver owns the actual holster and pouch of Hardy's that are pictured in a 1982 'Man at Arms' magazine article and both the items and the article appear in our book Holstory :-). What a collection he has.
    Last edited by rednichols; 05-09-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links