Newer member - wanted to post some pics
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Newer member - wanted to post some pics

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Newer member - wanted to post some pics

Morning all - I completed my first post in the introduction section last week and just posted a few pics today. My full story as to how I became interested is in the introduction section, but here is the abbreviated story: My Grandfather was a collector and "swapper". My Dad is a "store in the closet and don't let 'em see the light of day" kind of guy. My Dad decided to pass me the family Colt Collection that I knew existed, but because they were out of sight / out of mind for me, I didn't really give them any thought until last fall, when he brought them to the house and started explaining a bit of the history. I've now spent countless hours researching, reading, learning, and observing conversations on the Colt Forum. I wanted to post a couple of pictures and get your thoughts. I'm stuck between not really knowing what I have, and understanding I have been gifted something truly unique.
    I'm interested in learning about the grips both. The artillery SN is 131xxx. The Cavalry SN is 30xxx. I don't have letters - thinking I should do that, but can't afford letters for the whole collection...
    Thanks for everything you've all taught me - will get more engaged now that I've jumped in with photos!

-Brandy
    SAA_01.jpgSAA_04.jpgSAA_07.jpgSAA_09.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    461 times
    The short barrel gun is a black powder frame with some much later parts. The long barrel gun looks fairly original with what parts it has left.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21318 times
    You have posted pictures of a couple nice looking SAA's. The ivory grips have a unique carving that looks like a raised ribbon. I would call that work "Folk Art."

By the way, I just purchased a loading gate from another gun collector.

Thanks for posting those pictures and I look forward to seeing other guns that you got from your father.
    WVCOLT likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    951 times
    The "artillery" photo doesn't seem to show the "US" stamp nor the patent data on the left side of the frame. Is it just the lighting or has the frame possibly been buffed removing some of the markings? The barrel is certainly from a later commercial Colt SAA.
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    SAA_03.jpgSAA_02.jpg
    Thanks for the responses! Blackjack - here is a better photo.
    Follow-up ignorant question: What makes the barrel "newer" or "later"?
    SHOOTER13 and WVCOLT like this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    saintclair - I was thinking of adding the loading gate, but have been told that due to the year of manufacture, it would be extremely hard to find one that fits correctly. Is that true?

Member #
    Liked
    951 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrande View Post
    What makes the barrel "newer" or "later"?
    The stamping on the left side of your barrel appears to be that of a scecond generation (1950s-1960s) Colt SAA. An original first generation Cavalry SAA barrel (Cavalry model barrels were shortened to produce the Artillery model) would not have the caliber since all military contract SAA revolvers were .45 caliber.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack33 View Post
    The stamping on the left side of your barrel appears to be that of a scecond generation (1950s-1960s) Colt SAA. An original first generation Cavalry SAA barrel (Cavalry model barrels were shortened to produce the Artillery model) would not have the caliber since all military contract SAA revolvers were .45 caliber.
    Thanks, Blackjack. Makes perfect sense.

Member #
    Liked
    461 times
    The barrel markings (ie the caliber area and the address on the top) can date the barrel. I believe the correct barrel for that should read "45 Colt". The frame markings look right but if all the serial numbers match it is probably NOT an Artillery, but a Martial Marked gun with a barrel swap.

As for a loading gate for the other one. It's not so much of an issue finding one to fit (and I would) it is an issue that it will not have a matching assembly number. Not really a big deal as it is not a high dollar collectable (unless its history is cool).

Edit, Blackjack probably nailed the barrel question
    Amat Victoria Curam

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    The barrel markings (ie the caliber area and the address on the top) can date the barrel. I believe the correct barrel for that should read "45 Colt". The frame markings look right but if all the serial numbers match it is probably NOT an Artillery, but a Martial Marked gun with a barrel swap.

As for a loading gate for the other one. It's not so much of an issue finding one to fit (and I would) it is an issue that it will not have a matching assembly number. Not really a big deal as it is not a high dollar collectable (unless its history is cool).

Edit, Blackjack probably nailed the barrel question
    Thanks, 29. The serial numbers match on both. The issue on the gate, I'm told, besides possible fit, is matching the patina.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links