Any Buntline shooters out there?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Jim Martin
  • 1 Post By Mblhopo

Thread: Any Buntline shooters out there?

Member #
    Liked
    86 times

Any Buntline shooters out there?

I was wondering if any of you shoot a 12' barrelled Colt? I occasionally see a Buntline for sale and often wonder how they handle. Does the extra barrel length add to much weight or does it do anything to the sight picture? If I were younger I would jusify buying one as a sidearm for deer hunting but can't really pull that one off as I haven't been in the woods in a long time. Thanks for any insites.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Back in the 1980s I acquired a Buntline barrel from Dixie Gun Works and had it put on one of my Colts. When I started winning Cowboy matches with it, Buntlines started cropping up all over the place. The balance was good and the additional sight radius didn't hurt either.

Member #
    Liked
    5811 times
    I have 3,1 is an old Great Western .45 w/1pce mesquite grips,the second one is a 1907 1st gen.colt .44 spcl w/1pce checkered fiddleback maple grips & the 3rd is also a .44 spcl that I built w/an AWA frame using colt parts w/1pce Hawaiian Koa grips.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    I appreciate the replies.
    I saw one with a number on the bottom of the barrel near the frame but it did not match the guns serial number. It made me wonder if the barrel was added later?

Jim, I guess the welder is still away on vacation. Lucky man but the wait is killing me..

Member #
    Liked
    2119 times
    Here is one i shoot and i do not find it heavy at all... its fun to shoot and very accurate, i think it would be a good hunter. Of course i added the long barrel and also the 1860 brass longer grip frame and its sooo much better and looks great too.nf buntline.jpegbuntline 2 copy 2.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    589 times
    I have a 2nd gen buntline made in 1965, all original and shoots great. Hits what you point it at...Only thing you can't do is Spin it like Johnny Ringo in Tombstone!...…………………………………………….M*
    inspcalahan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave269 View Post
    I saw one with a number on the bottom of the barrel near the frame but it did not match the guns serial number. It made me wonder if the barrel was added later?

Jim, I guess the welder is still away on vacation. Lucky man but the wait is killing me..
    No he's not,I'm picking up the hammer Tues. morning.

Member #
    Liked
    589 times
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave269 View Post

Does the number under the barrel have a BB in front of it...……………………………………………...M*

Member #
    Liked
    2449 times
    The numbers on the buntline barrel do not match the serial number of the gun. I'm not sure why Colt numbered the barrel's but after a while of doing so they stoped. So you can find Buntline's without a numbered barrel. This one was not an original Buntline so I had it re-barreled with a 5 1/2" barrel.DSCN0619.JPG
    Last edited by ussmanlovede36; 05-13-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    589 times
    The BB barrels where supposed to be a special project that Colt decided not to do so they put the BB barrels on standard buntlines instead of scraping them.............................................. .............M*

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links