• 2 Post By MantleM
  • 1 Post By Jim Martin
  • 1 Post By tgoose1

Thread: Base Pin Holes

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Base Pin Holes

At some time in its history the base pin in our 1874 SAA was cut 1/8 inch short and, interestingly, the end was re-drilled and reshaped to match the original profile. I suspect this was done to remove and conceal damage done while attempting to extract a stuck pin. Plier damage to the grip head of the pin is an indication that removal was difficult at one point in time. Is there any other reason for shortening the pin? Is there a purpose to the holes in the ends, more than simply as a means for mounting in a lathe for shaping?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dandak and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Never heard of shortening a base pin. Your explanation probably nailed it. They certainly would not get any more ejector rod travel since the ejector head stops well before the base pin.
    At some point I believe Colt stopped putting the hole in the end of the base pin.
    Sweet looking gun BTW.
    Last edited by dandak; 05-19-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5649 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandak View Post
    Never heard of shortening a base pin. Your explanation probably nailed it. They certainly would not get any more ejector rod travel since the ejector head stops well before the base pin.
    At some point I believe Colt stopped putting the hole in the end of the base pin.
    Sweet looking gun BTW.
    The holes were dis-continued when they switched from blk pwdr to smokeless.
    lounick likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Any chance the short pin came from a different Colt model with a shorter frame?

Member #
    Liked
    2557 times
    It looks OK to me, what are you comparing it to for length? Don't use a replica or second/third gen, they can differ.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Guess there is always that chance, but I have the SAA examined by John Kopec and he thought the base pin was original.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    JP, my understanding is that the end of the base pin should be about even with the back of the cylinder.

Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MantleM View Post
    At some time in its history the base pin in our 1874 SAA was cut 1/8 inch short and, interestingly, the end was re-drilled and reshaped to match the original profile. I suspect this was done to remove and conceal damage done while attempting to extract a stuck pin. Plier damage to the grip head of the pin is an indication that removal was difficult at one point in time. Is there any other reason for shortening the pin? Is there a purpose to the holes in the ends, more than simply as a means for mounting in a lathe for shaping?
    Your cylinder pin head looks normal. Are you referring to the back end of the pin? Or maybe the cylinder bushing?

The center holes in the ends were for turning in a lathe, during manufacture. When the holes later disappear, Colt was likely using a collet on the lathe spindle.

The only time I have seen a shortened head on a cylinder pin was on a Colt SAA 44 rimfire #125x. But in that case the barrel was cut to 3", and a sheet metal ejector housing was fabricated and attached. In order for the rod head to have enough rearward stroke, the cylinder pin head was shortened.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    Your cylinder pin head looks normal. Are you referring to the back end of the pin? Or maybe the cylinder bushing?

The center holes in the ends were for turning in a lathe, during manufacture. When the holes later disappear, Colt was likely using a collet on the lathe spindle.

The only time I have seen a shortened head on a cylinder pin was on a Colt SAA 44 rimfire #125x. But in that case the barrel was cut to 3", and a sheet metal ejector housing was fabricated and attached. In order for the rod head to have enough rearward stroke, the cylinder pin head was shortened.

Yes, I was referring to the back end of the pin. I should have made that clear in the original post.

Thanks for all the replies.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    428 times
    I measured an actual Colt base pin hole for a small project, was 0.0545" by 3/32" deep. Easy to understand why the factory stopped this process.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tgoose1; 05-28-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Sponsored Links