Tip for Reducing Mainspring Pressure
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Tip for Reducing Mainspring Pressure

Member #
    Liked
    5660 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    In all reality, the issue of the leather absorbing moisture for the most part is a mute point. Does anyone here subject their $xxxx.00 guns to the environments and NOT do a thorough cleaning and oiling afterwards? I dont, and never will. SO, leather can still be a vialbe option.

Dont sweat it Cliff
    It doesn't have to be subjected to the elements to collect moisture,radical temperature changes between day & night can cause condensation if the gun is not stored properly & you won't know the rust is there until it's too late.
    Monsai52, xitnet, Yahoody and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    201 times
    This has been an interesting read. Seen about everything imaginable put under a hammer spring on a Colt style gun. The best advice given in my opinion is from Jim Martin. I've worked on and sold thousands of USFA's, Uberti's and Ruger's. It would be wise to listen to Mr. Martin when it comes to Colt's.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Guys, one final thought on this. Brownells has sold a product labeled: "COLT SINGLE ACTION HAMMER SPRING SPACER". for many years. Six spacers for 13 bucks.

These are made from the solid form of neoprene, which in addition to having high heat tolerance and being pretty much impervious to water and oil, are highly resistant to compression fatigue (which is why solid neoprene works so well as gaskets). Once you get them screwed down to where you like the trigger pull, they will stay there. I decided to try them on a 3rd gen SAA that had a pretty stiff mainspring about 20 years ago. The measured pull on that piece has not changed in all those years.

A modern iteration of an old-school solution that worked for me.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...r-prod339.aspx

1.JPG 2.JPG
    Last edited by LongColt; 05-23-2019 at 06:39 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    13108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LongColt
    Guys, one final thought on this. Brownells has sold a product labeled: "COLT SINGLE ACTION HAMMER SPRING SPACER". for many years. Six spacers for 13 bucks.
    1.JPG 2.JPG

these were exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote
    "You want to add leather or rubber or leave a screw loose in your gun, to make it run better? "

I still have a few bags of them hanging on the shop wall from about the same time frame. Tried one, ended up trimming it to fit inside the frame and never did like the feel when done. Haven't used one since. Glad they worked out for you!
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    Sorry I dis-agree w/using leather,I can't tell u how many old colts I've repaired that had leather under the spring that had absorbed moisture from condensation, the screw,spring & trgr strp were very rusty,another thing that can happen is the leather compresses w/use & can cause the screw to loosen if it hasn't rusted & the main spring can become dis-lodged when the gun is fired & jam the gun,also when grinding a mainspring it should ALWAYS be held in your bare fingers so that it can't become over heated,re; filing scratches,all marks should be removed from the spring by polishing,any fault in a flat spring is a stress point & can cause the spring to break,it doesn't always but the potential is always there.
    Jim Martin just (as in last week) did an action job on my 1907 CFSS. I noticed that he used a stainless steel washer (with rolled or rounded edges) under the mainspring. Needless to say, the action is now a thing of beauty. Fox (aka Greg), Bloomington, Indiana
    Jim Martin likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I'm a long fingered ham fist, never had a problem with any Colt's hammer spring. If I wanted a lighter one though, I'd add a lock washer.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9022 times
    The leather spacer started out of necessity, the guys back then didn't have access to metal washers but had plenty of leather. At that time leather was used to mend all sorts of things. Door hinges were often made of leather and it was used like tie wire is today.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    Jim did work in three of my guns and used the metal split washers. He told me that you can adjust the tension by the amount of “crush” on the washer. Seems to work great!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links