Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Tip for Reducing Mainspring Pressure

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1728 times

Tip for Reducing Mainspring Pressure

A lot of the 1st gen Colts have very heavy mainsprings in them that are really not required to ignite todays modern primers. My feelings are that the heavy mainspring, besides making the hammer hard to pull, puts a lot of undue stress on the gun itself. Its no secret that old timers use to add a small leather washer between the mainspring and trigger guard under the mainspring screw to reduce the heaviness of the spring. Finding a good washer for this purpose can be difficult but, I have a source. As a banjo player and former manufacturer of professional banjos, I am familiar with a number of sources of parts. There is a tuner made for D-tuning a banjo from the key of G to key of D that uses the perfect leather washer to adjust them for friction. Here is a link: https://www.beaconbanjo.com/product/...iction-washer/
    These washers are the perfect size for use on a SAA mainspring and the hole size is the same as the mainspring screw. I find these especially helpful to reduce the hammer pull on the Bisley Model due to the geometry of the spring but they work well with all SAA's. I actually adjust the mainspring screw to get the feel that I want and the washer holds the screw in place just fine. Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    I was just telling a friend of mine that in the old days a piece of a leather belt was used just as you just pointed out with the leather washers. The timing of your post is uncanny.
    Last edited by superdave269; 05-20-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    Rick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3863 times
    Why not reduce the thickness of the mainspring with a belt sander or disc sander?
    you can reduce the thickness gradually until it feels exactly the way you want. Just don’t drop it water to cool it...that can change the “springy-ness”.
    Be careful it will get hot if you force things to go quickly!
    And no, doing this won’t cause it to break because of little, tiny scratches regardless of which direction it’s sanded.
    lounick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1728 times
    You can certainly do that Bill but, I prefer to leave the original mainspring unaltered. Alternately, you can install a reduced power mainspring and save the original . I don’t know if anyone making one for s Bisley though and the washer works really well for those.
    saintclair likes this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    546 times
    Leather may cause the spring and guard to rust after a while, it's better to use a small steel washer.
    Jim Martin, Yahoody and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5660 times
    Sorry I dis-agree w/using leather,I can't tell u how many old colts I've repaired that had leather under the spring that had absorbed moisture from condensation, the screw,spring & trgr strp were very rusty,another thing that can happen is the leather compresses w/use & can cause the screw to loosen if it hasn't rusted & the main spring can become dis-lodged when the gun is fired & jam the gun,also when grinding a mainspring it should ALWAYS be held in your bare fingers so that it can't become over heated,re; filing scratches,all marks should be removed from the spring by polishing,any fault in a flat spring is a stress point & can cause the spring to break,it doesn't always but the potential is always there.

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Interesting follow ups to this. 30 years ago when my friend tuned up my Uberti for fast draw he told me that he removed metal from the inside of the mainspring. I believe he told me he did it by hand. I assumed with a file or something similiar. I cant remember. He said he only did one side (closest to the trigger guard) If I remember correctly he said removing metal from both sides could weaken the mainspring.
    I can only imagine what he would of told me if I had suggested using a leather washer. I bet he would of made me stand in the corner for 10 minutes and apologize to my my gun...
    Yahoody and lounick like this.

Member #
    Indianapolis, IN & beautiful Lake Cumberland, KY
    Liked
    2425 times
    Metal washers work better than the leather ones.
    Jim, have you used any that I sent you?
    If anyone needs some, contact me and I will send you some.
    texagun and lounick like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    Sorry I dis-agree w/using leather,I can't tell u how many old colts I've repaired that had leather under the spring that had absorbed moisture from condensation, the screw,spring & trgr strp were very rusty,another thing that can happen is the leather compresses w/use & can cause the screw to loosen if it hasn't rusted & the main spring can become dis-lodged when the gun is fired & jam the gun,also when grinding a mainspring it should ALWAYS be held in your bare fingers so that it can't become over heated,re; filing scratches,all marks should be removed from the spring by polishing,any fault in a flat spring is a stress point & can cause the spring to break,it doesn't always but the potential is always there.
    Jim, Great advice! I learned from structural engineers that even slight scratches or nicks in a component that is to be put into tension or compression can act as stress-risers and can initiate failure.
    theprofessor, Yahoody and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    In the past I have narrowed main springs at the main point of the arch or bend when the spring is under pressure.
    r
    c
    h
    Amat Victoria Curam

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links