What would Mikey do, if Mikey was a knowledgeable Colt guy....

View Poll Results: what would Mikey do?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it as is

34 69.39%
  • Refinish to new, color case and charcoal blue

13 26.53%
  • Refinish to new than add a antique finish

2 4.08%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: What would Mikey do, if Mikey was a knowledgeable Colt guy....

Member #
    Liked
    13033 times

What would Mikey do, if Mikey was a knowledgeable Colt guy....

I have this 1900 SAA that came to me as a total mess. It was over polished, nickeled, all Uberti internals, a cylinder that was cut too short up front and needing replacing, the original hammer needed to be totally rebuilt but at least it was the original hammer! Barrel, frame and front sight were original and in good shape.

At this point the hammer has been rebuilt, timing is perfect, but trigger sets a tiny bit forward at rest. I took a 2nd Gen 38 Special donor cylinder and had it recut to the 1900 contour and rechambered correctly to .45 Colt specs.

Next I fit a nice pair of Dennis Holland carved ivory to the gun. Mistake there.

After stripping the nasty nickel job I reblued the gun and then took most of the blue off the frame. Polished were the blue would typically show use.

The rounded edges and mated seams on all the parts and roll marks almost gone are now bugging me. But I have a hard time wanting a "new" 1900 Colt.

Some may disagree, but likely the Colt is never going to be worth more than it is right now. If you do disagree, please take the time and let me know why. A couple $K will make it new again. What would Mikey do and why?

Best as I can show it, as it sets now. DBL click the photos for a bigger image. She's a nice 10 footer right now

And the detailing on the grips..one reason I really like the gun.

Last edited by Yahoody; 05-30-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    13033 times
    Can we call this a "rocking horse"

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7675 times
    If Mikey had the bucks, Doug Turnbull would be seeing this in the daily shipment from UPS or Fed-Ex.

The frame would be resurfaced as well as possible and given a Turnbull color case hardened finish. The rest hand polished and blued with as close to a period blue as Turnbull could do.
    Yahoody, jringo8769 and bearcat6 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    13033 times
    Turnbull is good

I like Lanara and Harton.

Member #
    Liked
    1442 times
    Leave as is IMO
    Yahoody likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2299 times
    It's a shooter grade 1st gen, I would leave as is. We need some good shooter grade 1st gens out there.
    Yahoody and jringo8769 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    If it was your only Colt SAA....I would say send to Turnbull...and have a special ONE.....but we know you have many Colt and USFA pretty children...so unless you are just itching for a project...leave as is and enjoy the good work you have done....tony

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21096 times
    Let Lanara make it look new again. Those grips look like they are worth more than the rest of the gun. Re-do it for the sake of the grips!!
    Yahoody, colt03, CHIZ and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13033 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair
    Let Lanara make it look new again. Those grips look like they are worth more than the rest of the gun. Re-do it for the sake of the grips!!
    Spot on there Terry. Terrible fortune that these grips fit perfectly on this gun

Bright side it is 100% function wise and shoots really well. It is a gun hard not to like. Projects!? Always another project!
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2843 times
    No wrong choice either way. To me it would come down to available discretionary funds. If the funds are not an issue, I think this one is an excellent candidate for restoration, and Mr, Lanara would be my choice. IMO, while Turnbull's case colours are vibrant and many like the look, to me they don't look very much like 1st gen Colt.

Best regards,
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links