Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: New Colt SAA owner

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6758 times
    Early second generation SAAs in 38 special/7.5" are a fairly common configuration. I doubt you have anything to worry about regarding the gun's originality. I would say, sit back, relax, and enjoy your gun during the next 90 days.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14288 times
    It doesn’t appear tinkered with and I’m sure it’s not. The pic of different gun threw up question to our astute forum member who caught it, and good eye for doing so.
    I hope you enjoy your nice SAA !
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarsweb View Post
    Hope my PM didn’t scare you. I would say you have a 99% chance of it being just what you paid for. Most 2nd Generation .38 special that have been altered/fake are 4 3/4” barrels. They only made about 700 of those. Good that your are getting a Colt Factory Letter.
    Guitarsweb, I do not have enough posts to be able to PM anyone so I am going to post this here:

Thanks for the information. I really needed a prod to get the Colt Letter for my pistol. Since your post I have been delving into the SAA a little more and have decided that my pistol might need some attention paid to its timing, so I most probably will be sending it for a tuneup if the Colt letter indicates that it is an original configured pistol. I'm glad that I did not go for a high end pistol to begin with. I'll do my learning on this 2nd gen before I dive in deep.
    lounick likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2979 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    ... I'm glad that I did not go for a high end pistol to begin with. I'll do my learning on this 2nd gen before I dive in deep.
    You mentioned that you paid $2,750.00, I wouldn't exactly consider that the shallow end of the pool.

Best regards,
    Gator89, krag96 and lounick like this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    My collecting experience for a couple of decades had been with Lugers, Mannicher pistols, P38, and etc. After a few years of experience, I waded in pretty deep. The purpose of my collection was to finance my two daughters' college education. These were investments and sort of numbed my sense of money. After my daughters got out of grad school and my mission accomplished, I have been dabbling in several different areas of gun collecting. The learning curve has not been too bad until I decided to look into Colts. I really don't consider the cost of this pistol to be all that bad on which to learn.

You fellows can help me learn something right this minute: What is the location on the gun where all the numbers that should match? I have looked in the FAQ and sticky posts and have not found information on all of the pistol numbers.
    Last edited by arlen; 06-01-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    lounick likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    As a start, get George Garton’s book, “Colt’s SAA Post War Models,” it will keep you out of trouble. For sure, there are more compressive books, Don Wilkerson’s writings for one.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarsweb View Post
    As a start, get George Garton’s book, “Colt’s SAA Post War Models,” it will keep you out of trouble. For sure, there are more compressive books, Don Wilkerson’s writings for one.
    Thanks. We have a Tanner's Gun Show in Denver this weekend. I'll run down out of the mountains tomorrow and grab a copy of that book. There are more gun books at Tanner's than one can imagine. I sort of know where to find the numbers that I need to see, but I am not fully familiar with the nomenclature of SAA parts and I don't want to start disassembling my pistol without knowing exactly where I am headed. (I have been down that road before and felt so stupid after complicating a simple task.)

By the way, the collector at the CGCA show from whom I purchased this pistol had quite a few Colt SAAs that were priced between $5,000 and $10,000. I spent quite a bit of time over two days discussing each pistol with him. He has a lifetime of love of the pistols and his pistols were absolutely beautiful, original condition. (And these were the pistols with which he was willing to part.)
    Last edited by arlen; 06-01-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    OK, here is an update on my 2nd gen SAA 7 1/2". The frame number does not match the trigger frame number. The number in the grips does not match either of those. The cylinder assembly number matches the chute cover number. These numbers do not resemble any portion of the frame number, trigger frame number, or grip numbers.
    From what little that I know, this is disappointing. Guess I will always carry a screw driver with me at the local gun shows.
    You know, the seller's love of SAA does not seem to be greater than his love of money. Sad.
    Last edited by arlen; 06-21-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    13655 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen
    ….You know, the seller's love of SAA does not seem to be greater than his love of money. Sad.
    Don't feel too bad. Call it your first lesson in collecting Colt SAAs. One bad deal is likely what started all of us on getting it right the 2nd time around. A friend and I were just discussing 1st Gen Colt's from around 1900. We both wanted shooter grade guns. I paid $2000 for mine, my buddy paid $2500 for his. Asked what I would do next time around? I'd return mine for a refund as I suggested he do this morning with his newest purchase.

Having to totally rebuild a gun in "working condition" that is using Uberti parts (at best) internally and a worn out hammer that needs to be welded gets expensive. Dos it need a new cylinder? How is the barrel? I'm closer to $4K to get mine shooting again and made it right, than the buy in price of $2000.

Tough lesson to swallow let alone learn but hopefully I wouldn't need to repeat it. Neither will my friend thanks to my experience. Better to just be real sure (verify as needed even if it means passing up a gun) what you are buying and buy the highest condition gun you can afford.

No matter what the gun is or the price paid there will always be either an uneducated seller or an unethical seller to deal with. Up to us to get past that. Buying really nice 1st and 2nd Gen guns can be a road fraught with disasters prior to educating yourself.
    I've been bit by my lack of knowledge on 1st Gen guns and unethical dealers on the more modern guns more that I care to admit.

Good luck on your next gun!

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Thanks, Yep it is a learning experience but I went into it expecting to learn. I really like the 2nd gen guns and will look to acquire an excellent pistol or two before migrating to the 1st gen pistols. All of my prior firearms collecting experience has been with nationally reputable dealers. This is the very first firearm that i have purchased at a gun show. That is also part of the learning experience.
    I have not been able to find a "For Sale" section of the Colt Forum. I do not know if you have to be a paying member or require a minimum amount of posts to be able to see the Classified section. I really prefer to purchase from members of the Colt fraternity but cannot find access on this forum.

Lo and behold! I can now see a For Sale section. This was not visible to me earlier. Or maybe I am just stupid.
    Last edited by arlen; 06-21-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links