Pet Peeves...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Pet Peeves...

Member #
    Liked
    426 times

Pet Peeves...

So, hardcore collector or avid shooter, I know all of us SAA fans have strong opinions on how we want our six shooters to look and feel. Just want to hear yalls opinions on the “little things” that compel you to put that piece back down on the counter and walk away. For me, and I’ve beat this dead horse on countless threads, proper backstrap ear fit/contour is a biggie. It’s something I love to see executed perfectly on 1st and 2nds and I cringe at on many 3rds. What “blemishes” have you regretting you “bought ol’ girl a drink before taking a closer look.”??
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    If I listed all my "anal obsessions" with firearms, it would break the internet.

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I just like an SAA to have as many 1st gen features as possible. CCH hammer, old style hammer knurling, cone fire pin, two line address, black powder frame, bullseye ejector rod head, beveled cylinders, ect. Yahoody first brought backstrap ear fit/contour to my attention, and I have looked at that on every SAA I have seen since. I also like the v notch sights and tapered front sight.
    LEO918, WVCOLT, Dave_T and 1 others like this.
    "He raised quickly his pistol--a self-cocker-- within a foot of my breast. Retreating rapidly across the room, he cried, "Quien es? Quien es?" All this occurred more rapidly than it takes to tell it. As quick as possible I drew my revolver and fired, threw my body to one side, and fired again. The second shot was useless. The Kid fell dead at the first one." ~ Pat Garrett 1882

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1694 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret44CAL View Post
    I just like an SAA to have as many 1st gen features as possible.
    I wish all problems had such an easy solution.

The easiest way to achieve this is to...drum roll please...buy an original first generation Single Action Army revolver.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1694 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VoyPescado View Post
    ...proper backstrap ear fit/contour is a biggie. It’s something I love to see executed perfectly on 1st and 2nds and I cringe at on many 3rds.
    Amen!

If you saw as poor fitting on a first generation as is commonplace on a third generation, you would immediately suspect buffing and refinishing.

Poor grip fit on third generation SAA's; finish of grips looks too modern/not in keeping with the intended look, and cheap medallions.

Nickel SAA finish on a third generation SAA revolver is like chrome and will blind you!
    WVCOLT and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    426 times
    Also a pretty big stickler for lock-up. Tweaking some timing issues, smoothing some internals, even working out a heavy or creepy trigger...all things I don’t mind fooling with. But an ill fitting bolt that allows for to much slop at full cock, or excessive end shake, generally causes me to move on.
    WVCOLT, lounick and socalmarine like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1845 times
    Shallow roll marks/stampings. Poorly refinished guns that have been overbuffed. The backstrap ear thing as mentioned. Shiny nickel guns.
    WVCOLT likes this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1845 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VoyPescado View Post
    So, hardcore collector or avid shooter, I know all of us SAA fans have strong opinions on how we want our six shooters to look and feel. Just want to hear yalls opinions on the “little things” that compel you to put that piece back down on the counter and walk away. For me, and I’ve beat this dead horse on countless threads, proper backstrap ear fit/contour is a biggie. It’s something I love to see executed perfectly on 1st and 2nds and I cringe at on many 3rds. What “blemishes” have you regretting you “bought ol’ girl a drink before taking a closer look.”??
    If you stay away from certain year model 3rd gens, you typically will not have a fit issue in that area. Ive had a lot of 3rds and none with any type of backstrap to frame fit issues. The absolute worse are those made between 1984-1989. Some stragglers in the early to mid 90's. I did work on one earlier one with a poor fit but, all I had to do was loosen the 3 backstrap screws and align it with the frame and the fit was perfect.
    WVCOLT likes this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Extremely over priced guns.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Grip fit has to be good.
    WVCOLT likes this.