COLT SAA - could use a little help here!
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: COLT SAA - could use a little help here!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'd say it's been glass beaded & re-blued.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

SAA Finish

To find out if it has been blued, test a spot with toilet bowl cleaner. If so, it will remove the dark color.

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    This is not any kind of Blueing.

Wish it was!

Blueing I could remove very easily...

Still waiting to get a-hold of LGS's son who sometimes does stuff there at night, to let me have a little time with their Media Blast Cabinet 'afterhours'...

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    The Plot thickens!

Went over to "Media Blast" using the Table Salt I had gotten, things were very welcoming but he has some Media Blast Jobs to do this evening, and said the media in the Hopper was so tired and worn out it would hardly do anything and he wanted to replace it with fresh new, and I figured I'd just try it - and run the Compressor to put out 50 Pounds - then get out of his way so he could do his Work there tonight.

The Media material indeed was tired, and I spent an Hour at least, blasting, so it was gentle, you may be sure.

Got things all clean...or close-enough.

Anyway, pausing to chit-chat a tiny bit on my way out, I asked him if he remembered the old SAA and he indeed did, it was something someone left in a Box of Junk on their Door Step and they never knew who, but...BUT, it was he who had done the 'Ceracote' ( "to use up some left-over" ) , and he said he thinks he might even still have "all the other parts" laying around somewhere.

He was thinking to try and remember where, and I reviewed for him what is missing, and he walked over, moved some stuff, rummaged around a moment and pulled out the Hand.

So, I have a Hand now or THE Hand, anyway.

He thinks he remembers the Grip Frame and Hammer being on it when he took it apart to 'Ceracote' it.

I said "Please keep your Thinking-Cap on with this! - see if you can remember where those other parts are..!"

He said he'd be glad to...

So, that's the update!

What a wacky tale!

The Plot thickens!

Cross your Fingers for me that he has the other parts, and remembers where he'd put them..!
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 06-10-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    jringo8769 and Mosby like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1097 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    The Plot thickens!

Went over to "Media Blast" using the Table Salt I had gotten, things were very welcoming but he has some Media Blast Jobs to do this evening, and said the media in the Hopper was so tired and worn out it would hardly do anything and he wanted to replace it with fresh new, and I figured I'd just try it - and run the Compressor to put out 50 Pounds - then get out of his way so he could do his Work there tonight.

The Media material indeed was tired, and I spent an Hour at least, blasting, so it was gentle, you may be sure.

Got things all clean...or close-enough.

Anyway, pausing to chit-chat a tiny bit on my way out, I asked him if he remembered the old SAA and he indeed did, it was something someone left in a Box of Junk on their Door Step and they never knew who, but...BUT, it was he who had done the 'Ceracote' ( "to use up some left-over" ) , and he said he thinks he might even still have "all the other parts" laying around somewhere.

He was thinking to try and remember where, and I reviewed for him what is missing, and he walked over, moved some stuff, rummaged around a moment and pulled out the Hand.

So, I have a Hand now or THE Hand, anyway.

He thinks he remembers the Grip Frame and Hammer being on it when he took it apart to 'Ceracote' it.

I said "Please keep your Thinking-Cap on with this! - see if you can remember where those other parts are..!"

He said he'd be glad to...

So, that's the update!

What a wacky tale!

The Plot thickens!

Cross your Fingers for me that he has the other parts, and remembers where he'd put them..!
    Some pics after the blasting please?
    Very cool u might have all the parts coming too..

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
    ei8ht likes this.
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Liked
    1332 times
    That would be great if the missing parts are still around! Don't forget to take that 5lbs of salt back to the store. The way my wife the nurse listens to my cardiologist, it would take me 20 years to use that much salt!

Some "after" pictures of the gun, please.
    jringo8769 likes this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Any update?? Did they srounge up some missing parts for you? And....any Pictures!!???!?
    jringo8769 and Prowbar like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1097 times
    well please do not leave us in suspense...what has happened?....what did it look like after blasting?...God Bless,John
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jringo8769 View Post
    well please do not leave us in suspense...what has happened?....what did it look like after blasting?...God Bless,John
    Thanks John! for asking..!

I was super gentle with the Media Blasting, spent about an Hour and was so gentle, even that really did not get all of the 'Ceracote' all the way off.

But, I can go back sometime, do a little more...

Their Blast Cabinet has no Light in it, so I had to prop up a Flashlight to kind of barely see what I was doing...ugh..! eeeeesh!

I knew I had a Back Strap and Stocks I had picked up somewhere years ago, and I was able to find them...I think the Back Strap and Stocks are Colt m1860 though, as the Back Strap has the little divot for a Shoulder Stock to fit in to.

I got a couple supposedly "1st Generation" Screws on ebay to attach the Back Strap, and they and it fit perfectly.

Loose Screw sitting there goes to a Main Spring I got off ebay also...no way to install it yet, so...

Otherwise talked to the fellow who is sure he has the 'missing' parts which he removed from it, ( Back Strap, Front Strap - Trigger Guard, Hammer, Stocks Screws, ) and he said he has just been really busy and has not looked for them yet...he did rummage around for like four second to find me the 'missing' Bolt last visit I was there, so, cross your fingers for me! He may well indeed have the rest of it laying buried under clutter back there.

I am thinking to find some way to motivate him, maybe mention that I have a C Note "with his name on it" if he happens TO 'find the time' sometime, while we're young...

Sigh...Lol...oh well, hard to know what to do sometimes...

Here's the Back Strap and stocks anyway -

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 06-30-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    jringo8769, MarkInTx and 29aholic like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    It actually has a really good 'feel' just as it is!

I will be so happy if he can round up the 'missing' parts for me, and I can then go from there with it being complete as he - dash - they had gotten it.

Was probably a "not too bad" old SAA...but no way to turn back the clock on what was done, so...on from here as best I can...
    jringo8769 likes this.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links