COLT SAA - could use a little help here!
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: COLT SAA - could use a little help here!

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Oye, your 100% sure it’s Cerakote and not Duracoat or the like?
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VoyPescado View Post
    Oye, your 100% sure it’s Cerakote and not Duracoat or the like?
    The guy who had applied it said "Cerakote"...

I have no experience with any of these new finishes.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    The guy who had applied it said "Cerakote"...

I have no experience with any of these new finishes.
    Curious...Why go through the trouble of blasting it, then coating it, just to throw it on a coffee table and not do anything with it...

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
    Unfortunately, the damage has been done. I wouldn't go too crazy and put a lot of money in it. You'll never get it back.
    Maybe...don't go nuts spending money you can't afford to loose. You know there is zero collector value and it will never be "an original" but if it is something you enjoy doing and a learning experience you want...why not?
    You have $0 invested in a paperweight and for a few well-chosen dollars you can wind up with a truly unique shooter that you built yourself. I agree with 29aholic and hearsedriver, don't go nuts trying to make it original but have fun with it and enjoy the experience.

Oh yeah...and keep us posted!
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIZ View Post
    Curious...Why go through the trouble of blasting it, then coating it, just to throw it on a coffee table and not do anything with it...
    Do you mean, the LGS who gave it to me the other day?

I do not know...I can ask him though.

Not a coffee Table, but a good sized, Table height Table, like a Dining Table, they have in their Store, for Customers to sit at and BS all day.

They now and then set out 'curiousities' of sorts, as conversation starters or in case anyone might be interested to buy them. Usually these ( or so far these, have every time been ) old, poor condition, mis treated old Guns of one kind or another...an old Sharps Rifle, an old Winchester or two, these they did want meaningful money for, but likely were well worth it...no idea what I miss from days I do not happen to stop in.

Couple weeks ago, they had an early 1900s Single Barrel 12 Gauge Break Top "Long Tom" Shot Gun, which other than for being grungy and not cleaned since the 1920s probably, was actually okay-enough to my own glance, and just gummy inside, old hardened up lube, firing pin not going back, Closing Latch not returning to center, etc

I happened to come in, there were five old guys sitting at the Table BS-ing, one chair was empty and they said "Sit down an' join us!" so I did...

I asked "So who does this old Shotgun belong to?" and they said it was the Store's.

I ask the owner if I could look at it, he said "Of course!"

I examine it, the other guys are making amused depreciating mentions about it, "Ols POS, etc" but, looked 'nice-enough' to me, just grungy and old and poorly maintained, I said "How neat!" Old BS-er guys were laughing, one said "That old ugly junk, you ought to just dig a hole and bury it!" Lol...I replied "I kind of like the poor old thing"...anyway, I ask "Is it for sale"?

Owner said "Yes, $15.00"

So, I said, "Well I am the last guy in line here, seeing as how I just walked in, so if any of you fellows want this old 12 Gauge, you are all ahead of me on any 'dibs' here...so, if any of you want to buy it, I think now is when you ought to speak up!"

No one wanted it...

So, I said, "Well, if no one else here wants it, I recon I'll get it..,"

And so I did!

It is a wonderful old Shotgun too!

I love the old thing.

I have been too busy with Work to have gotten on to dismantling it and cleaning, adjusting whatever, fresh lube, etc, but I will do those things soon and might even post a little Picture Thread for it.

So, the LGS here is really good to their customers, entertaining, hard nosed but genuinely mannered and friendly and no BS ever, and everyone has fun...

I'll find something nice I can do for them sometime too.

So, basically, "Yes", they got the old SAA in, such as it was...they are not 'Old Gun" people, they saw it was covered in fine soft superficial rust, they Bead or Sand Blasted it, Cerakoted it, had it sitting in the Workshop Back Room how ever long, finally got tired of it being back there among the Work Shop thing, and they put it on "The Table" in the Store area, in case anyone might want it.

No one wanted it, for I dunno, three or four or five days, til I finally happened to come in, one empty chair was in the offing, I sat down, and saw it sitting there, so, I asked about it, and...the rest is History!

Lol...

So, I have two "projects" now, thanks to them!
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkInTx View Post
    Maybe...don't go nuts spending money you can't afford to loose. You know there is zero collector value and it will never be "an original" but if it is something you enjoy doing and a learning experience you want...why not?
    You have $0 invested in a paperweight and for a few well-chosen dollars you can wind up with a truly unique shooter that you built yourself. I agree with 29aholic and hearsedriver, don't go nuts trying to make it original but have fun with it and enjoy the experience.

Oh yeah...and keep us posted!
    Absolutely...

In my mind, it is an 1882 Colt SAA which has seen some neglect and abuse and mysteriously lost parts...

And out of respect for the old thing, I feel I would like to do it some remedial justice, and I know, this will likely eat up about what a Month's Rent and sundry Bills else would be, and it will be what it is, and if it can be a good Shooter, and look 'okay-enough' once done, then I will be satisfied.

It's a "Rescue" thing...Fate Elbowed me nicely-enough in the Ribs, and said "Ahem!" and Chin-Nodded to it...

All I could do is acquiesce..!

That is the Mission which was handed to me!

Lol...

And thank you all for helping me get up to speed, and for helping me to have my Head on straight as for what to do, and how it ought to be.

My poor Head was spinning there at the get go..!
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 06-05-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    jringo8769 and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    “Not old gun people...”. Anyone who would sandblast and Cerakote a 1st gen SAA in any condition isn’t much of a “gun person” at all. C’mon, even the most hardcore “tacticool” clowns I know in the gun industry know not to arbitrarily eff with highly collectable, antique firearms. Of course...if there’s one thing your average LGS owner has a surplus of its free time...I’ve seen my old man rig up some pretty stupid contraptions while passing the hours at the smithing counter.

Member #
    Liked
    5147 times
    “Not old gun people...”. Anyone who would sandblast and Cerakote a 1st gen SAA in any condition isn’t much of a “gun person” at all. C’mon, even the most hardcore “tacticool” clowns I know in the gun industry know not to arbitrarily eff with highly collectable, antique firearms. Of course...if there’s one thing your average LGS owner has a surplus of its free time...I’ve seen my old man rig up some pretty stupid contraptions while passing the hours at the smithing counter.
    Well...Lol...just how it is...

They're very good people otherwise!

And, I stopped by today briefly to ask if I could buy some time on their Media Blaster to remove the 'Cerakote', and they said "Oh sure!" ( and no charge ), so, I need to go to the Grocery Store and get I dunno, 5 Pounds of Table Salt, and I'll go give it a whirl sometime soon.

Member #
    Liked
    1097 times
    Well sadly i see it around where i live too...people do not see the value of old or ones that need work...have found many great deals this way...wish i had a shop like the OP's near me...very well done
    God Bless,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
    MarkInTx and ei8ht like this.
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Liked
    1332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jringo8769 View Post
    Well sadly i see it around where i live too...people do not see the value of old or ones that need work...have found many great deals this way...wish i had a shop like the OP's near me...very well done
    There used to be a similar shop close to me. Had a good variety of old and new guns, really friendly and knowledgeable people and were the only place fairly close that had a good selection on muzzleloading guns, supplies and period accoutrements. I bought several Colt's and other guns over the years.
    Sadly, the owner was getting on in years and had some health issues. They finally sold the place and suddenly all you saw were black plastic guns and the knowledge-base dropped to "the bullet come out here...I think." Someone told me the were out of business.
    jringo8769 likes this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    ." --

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links