Colt Forum banner

New Gen 2 SAA

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BigMuddy 
#1 ·
Howdy all. I just scored a Gen 2 artillery. 7.5” in 45colt. Serial number look up says 1964. I bought it from the original owner , who claims it was never fired. It has no indication it has been. Also the cylinder base pin and the ejector rod were frozen solid. Sprayed it up pretty heavy with ballistol waited an hour and I was then able to get it apart and properly lubed . Planning on getting a colt letter for it. Past owner had the manual and sales receipt , but no box. Question is, are these very collectible meaning should I seek out a period correct box or just have a nice shooter ? If this is highly collectible I could look around for a used Gen 3 for a shooter. A little advice would be helpful here.

thanks ,
Bob

#3 · (Edited)
Bob,

Welcome to the forum. Just to keep the lexicon correct an "artillery" would have a 5-1/2" barrel and a "cavalry" a 7-1/2" barrel. However both names refer to military Colts. What you have is a 2nd. generation Single Action Army .45 Colt with a 7-1/2" barrel. 2nd gen SAAs are excellent examples of Colt workmanship but there are quite a few nice guns out there. A correct and genuine "Stagecoach" box will be pricey and will still be a marriage and not the "original" box. If it is indeed flawless after almost 60 years (and that's a high bar), you may want to keep it that way and look for a nice shooter.

#4 ·
The nice thing about the stagecoach boxes is that they were not serial numbered at the factory. The came in a plain brown cardboard sleeve on which the serial number was written. The caliber and barrel length were usually marked on the stagecoach box, so if you can find a box with the correct information on it for a reasonable price, it might be worth adding to the gun. The problem is finding a nice stagecoach box for a reasonable price!

- - Buckspen

#8 ·
Rick, thank you for all the information. This is my first Colt SAA. It truly is in perfect condition. I have many colt 1911’s in my small collection , all of which I shoot. That said I believe I will tuck this one away for my until he graduates college . I will grab up a used Gen three for a shooter. Thank you again for the advice , it is greatly appreciated.
Bob

#14 ·
I recently traded for a 7 1/2" 2nd Gen 45. It too appeared unfired, and the owner knows he never shot the gun. It had a box, but it was a bit "ragged". After we made the trade he followed me to a target and it was "unfired" no more. :) His comment was "WOW! I guess I should've shot that one". It was plunking my loads all into one nice tight little spot at 25 yards.

My point is... keeping these guns unfired means you never know what you're missing.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.