New Gen 2 SAA
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New Gen 2 SAA

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

New Gen 2 SAA

Howdy all. I just scored a Gen 2 artillery. 7.5” in 45colt. Serial number look up says 1964. I bought it from the original owner , who claims it was never fired. It has no indication it has been. Also the cylinder base pin and the ejector rod were frozen solid. Sprayed it up pretty heavy with ballistol waited an hour and I was then able to get it apart and properly lubed . Planning on getting a colt letter for it. Past owner had the manual and sales receipt , but no box. Question is, are these very collectible meaning should I seek out a period correct box or just have a nice shooter ? If this is highly collectible I could look around for a used Gen 3 for a shooter. A little advice would be helpful here.

thanks ,
    Bob
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Colorado in the summer and Arizona in the winter
    Liked
    452 times
    If it were mine, I'd shoot it! By the way, where's the pics? Without pics it doesn't exist.
    jringo8769 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15274 times
    Bob,

Welcome to the forum. Just to keep the lexicon correct an "artillery" would have a 5-1/2" barrel and a "cavalry" a 7-1/2" barrel. However both names refer to military Colts. What you have is a 2nd. generation Single Action Army .45 Colt with a 7-1/2" barrel. 2nd gen SAAs are excellent examples of Colt workmanship but there are quite a few nice guns out there. A correct and genuine "Stagecoach" box will be pricey and will still be a marriage and not the "original" box. If it is indeed flawless after almost 60 years (and that's a high bar), you may want to keep it that way and look for a nice shooter.
    Last edited by Rick Bowles; 06-11-2019 at 06:20 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2706 times
    The nice thing about the stagecoach boxes is that they were not serial numbered at the factory. The came in a plain brown cardboard sleeve on which the serial number was written. The caliber and barrel length were usually marked on the stagecoach box, so if you can find a box with the correct information on it for a reasonable price, it might be worth adding to the gun. The problem is finding a nice stagecoach box for a reasonable price!

- - Buckspen
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15274 times
    Like Bruce said, you'll want to find a box with the same condition as your SAA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    As an add on. Very nice acquisition. Careful on the box. Lots of fakes out there

Member #
    Liked
    2449 times
    Nice Colt saa and pics are a must.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Rick, thank you for all the information. This is my first Colt SAA. It truly is in perfect condition. I have many colt 1911’s in my small collection , all of which I shoot. That said I believe I will tuck this one away for my until he graduates college . I will grab up a used Gen three for a shooter. Thank you again for the advice , it is greatly appreciated.
    Bob

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    please tell me how and I would love to. I can barely turn this dang thing on. I know how to email picks but how to Iattach them to this site.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    as an afterthought is it worth getting a colt letter .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links