2019 Colt Custom shop & Prices. The good & BAD....
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: 2019 Colt Custom shop & Prices. The good & BAD....

Member #
    Liked
    414 times
    Good grief...somebody please clarify. So the Colt SAA has been a staple on the regular ‘ol assembly line for some time now and up until this point the Colt Custom Shop had all but ceased operations. NOW, our options are to pay an MSRP of roughly $1,800.00 for a “standard” SAA via Colt’s general production channels OR pay $3,500.00 ish for the same gun via Custom Shop order. AND if bought at MSRP as a standard production product our colored case hardening will have been completed in house, HOWEVER, if ordered via the Custom Shop our beloved Peacemaker will have passed through the hands of Turnbull...Right???

Member #
    Liked
    1946 times
    Voy ...right except all CCH goes through Turnball ,the reason i was told the Custom shop Standard gun costs $3,450 is outlined below in a email response i received from Colt when i asked why so much for the gun!

Marko

The Custom Shop Single Action Armies are hand fit and completely assembled by the Master Gunsmith before any of the finishing takes place, additionally the Custom Shop gunsmiths tune the action to the Custom Shop specs. Once fitted the guns are then disassembled and polished by the Custom Shop Master Polishers. We then send the frame for case color to Doug Turnbull and the other small parts are Royal Blued here at Colt.

In short the Custom Shop single action armies get a lot more individual attention then the standard catalog models.

So Voy there you have it the reason for the extra $1,700 or so because a master Gunsmith assembles then polishes your gun... makes sense right?
    Last edited by MARKO65; 06-13-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    414 times
    Ok...rant warning. First, us forum folk were just fed some lines in another thread about the “superiority” of Colt’s IN HOUSE colored case hardening by an individual whom I believe is a current Colt employee. Now the official position is that Colt is farming ALL of its colored case hardening out to Turnbull?? Secondly, and I really don’t know why I’m even saying this given my complete and utter disinterest in all things “3rd Gen” but this is really a new low. In the wake of the now infamous “recall debacle”, we are being told, by Colt representatives, that if we are seeking to purchase a SAA in keeping with the original quality and craftsmanship that quite literally built the brand, we should expect to pay twice as much as we would for procuring the “standard” product?? Freaking News Flash Colt! $1,800.00+in my neck of the woods, isn’t exactly chump change. If you were reserving the the guns built by “true masters of there craft” for some sort of premium offering, I think those folks who dropped MSRP on the last 20years worth of SAA’s deserve an explanation. Of course given the hundreds of dollars in action work many of these guns have seen, I suppose this should come as no surprise. I get it, why join a Colt Forum if you’re prepared to spend so much time bashing Colt right?? I joined this forum because of an absolute infatuation I developed with a product. An incredibly beautiful and sophisticated product that, by its very nature, rose to the top of the ranks among the most influential, historically significant, and ubiquitous firearms of all time. The Colt SAA. One, of a handful, of genuinely phenomenal pieces of machinery that catapulted this brand to unprecedented levels of success and perpetuated its influence well into the 20th century. That’s hardcore fandom. I don’t get pissed at these moves from Colt because I hate them, I, like many here, get pissed because this crap literally feels like some sort of betrayal. If you have any ounce of gumption left in the core of your being Colt, understand that you have a loyal customer base that is willing to pay! Just about any gosh darn price you slap on these things...but we need some sense of assurance that the products we are spending our hard earned money on are, as they were in there original iterations, the absolute best of the best. If you can’t deliver that, every single time, at the price points you’re setting then please, for the sake of the brand and all it’s come to represent, hang it up and move on.
    29aholic and Mike1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1819 times
    Im not surprised by the Turnbull connection. Ive got 3 CS 3rds that all look like Turnbulls CCH. The vivid blues and fact that they are varnished seem to be his trademarks. I could be wrong.
    Hondo44 likes this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    504 times
    I know this has been mentioned, and I apologize to the person who brought it up as I can't remember who, but how did Colt go from producing 60-350 (opinions varied) SAA's per year, with a minimum wait of 2-3 years to be able to produce one in 90 days? Just curious......
    Hopalong likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1946 times
    Rigby... good question , only thing i think is they got caught up and maybe have new hired help. Hearse i also have a few late 3rd gens and they look all to be done by turnbull and varnished as per the email i received from colt ... they all look wonderful.
    Rigby likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2396 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
    Im not surprised by the Turnbull connection. Ive got 3 CS 3rds that all look like Turnbulls CCH. The vivid blues and fact that they are varnished seem to be his trademarks. I could be wrong.
    I don't think you're wrong. And Doug Turnbull used to be the finish dept mgr for Colt many years ago now.
    WVCOLT and hearsedriver like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1375 times
    I agree with others who search the 3rd generation market for potential candidates. Simply installing a lighter hollowed out mainspring from Wolf makes many of these heavy actions bearable if not better than good. In the last year I have seen a NF 44 special 7 1/2” go unsold for $1000. I would have bought it but I already have one. My personal issue with custom shop guns is if one needs to sell soon after purchase, it’s generally a loss if not a big loss. Standard production guns have an established value.

Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    To put it in perspective. Years ago I was at a bike rally that Willie G Davidson was at. At one point I mentioned to him that bikes were now priced above what the average working man could afford. His response "Yeah, but I sell a lot of bikes at those prices". All too many times companies forget it was the little guy that kept them afloat all these years.
    arjay, Kerz, Hopalong and 1 others like this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Member #
    Liked
    1224 times
    I'm still having a very hard time believing that $3450 price. In trying to break it down in my head, let's say you score a Colt at the $1900 msrp price. So you send it to Jim Martin to make it just as good anything the custom shop could do. With the work, plus shipping if you don't have an FFL, you are looking at about $300 price tag. So now I have something that is as good or better than the custom shop standard model for $2200. So where does the extra $1250 come in? Best guess, you are now paying over a grand for expedited service. Is that about it? I have been waiting for my custom shop gun for 2 and a half years now. And it won't even be exactly what I initially ordered since they have discontinued the BP frame. So I guess you have to ask yourself, is it worth $1250 to cut the wait time down by 2 and 1/4 years?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links