• 1 Post By OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK
  • 1 Post By SDRider
  • 1 Post By Jesse Heywood

Thread: Some Simple Advice About Preventing Rust

Member #
    Liked
    1534 times

Some Simple Advice About Preventing Rust

I am going to give some advice about preventing rust. There are some air conditioning "experts" who won't understand or like this! If you live in a place where both heating and cooling are required during the seasons of the year, then buy auto-switchover thermostats. The ones I have bought are set to come on with cool air above 74F, and come on with heat below 71F. Unlike many thermostats, these control the temperature at plus or minus less than 1/2 degree. This prevents "dew" from accumulating on your gun steel during those wild swings in outside temperature.

DO NOT BUY an auto-switchover thermostat for "programming". Some think that it is most desirable to allow your home to heat up or cool down while you are at work. This is a gun's worst enemy, and it will also run up your power bill. It runs up your power bill because everything within the outer walls are heating up (or cooling down). So when the cool air is allowed to resume, it has to cool down all of that mass (brick, walls, flooring, ceilings, furniture, books, guns, etc).

Actually when I installed my auto-switchover thermostats my power usage dropped about 10%. That is what air conditioning companies DO NOT want to hear! They want to sell programmable thermostats.

Member #
    Liked
    695 times
    Cool!
    Thanks
    Colt
    NRA LIFE Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    533 times
    Doug Smith at Smith Security Safes told me something very similar.
    Vic
    lounick likes this.
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1118 times
    Good advice, I will look into an auto switch over thermostat. I have allergies that last all year long so our windows are never open.
    lounick likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1081 times
    You can see a "magnified" example of this when you start your car's engine when it's cold. As soon as it starts to warm up, what comes out of the tailpipe? Water!
    lounick likes this.
    Life/Benefactor Member NRA since 1962, Former Navy Nuclear Weapons Officer, OIC Base R&P Team, OIC Base Armory. Collector, shooter, amateur gunsmith. Life Member NCGCA, Member CCA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    396 times
    We have two seasons here, hot and warm. I sometimes go a year or more without turning the heat on and probably only use the A/C 3 months out of the year. My gun safe is in my garage anyway which ranges in temperature from 65 to 90 degrees. A couple pistols reside in the house in various places I can get to them easily if needed. Temps in the house always range between 65 to 75 degrees. It is also fairly dry here with max humidity in the 70% range (unless it is raining-which is rare) and lows in the 30% range.

Please send me your guns and I promise to keep them safe and dry in a temperature optimized place.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    DO NOT BUY an auto-switchover thermostat for "programming". Some think that it is most desirable to allow your home to heat up or cool down while you are at work. This is a gun's worst enemy, and it will also run up your power bill. It runs up your power bill because everything within the outer walls are heating up (or cooling down). So when the cool air is allowed to resume, it has to cool down all of that mass (brick, walls, flooring, ceilings, furniture, books, guns, etc).

Actually when I installed my auto-switchover thermostats my power usage dropped about 10%. That is what air conditioning companies DO NOT want to hear! They want to sell programmable thermostats.
    When I took an engineering class in heat transfer we proved this in our lab. But in the 40 years since I have forgotten the numbers. That was when the Carter administration was telling us different.
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    875 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK View Post
    You can see a "magnified" example of this when you start your car's engine when it's cold. As soon as it starts to warm up, what comes out of the tailpipe? Water!
    That is caused by the ethanol in the gas. Ethanol draws moisture and is very noticeable in temps change. Put a water remover in your tank every 3 or 4 tanks and it will stop. Your car will run better too.
    I don't know much but at least I know that much.

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by STARVATION View Post
    That is caused by the ethanol in the gas. Ethanol draws moisture and is very noticeable in temps change. Put a water remover in your tank every 3 or 4 tanks and it will stop. Your car will run better too.
    Condensation out the tailpipe has been around since Henry Ford made the Model T. It has nothing to do with Ethanol. Comes from air cooling and water precipitating as the air cools. Much of it forms in the exhaust pipe and muffler. It is a byproduct of combustion caused by the combining of hydrogen & oxygen heated and under pressure. Basic physics and chemistry that many of us learned in high school.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links