Colt Forum banner

SAA or Glock ?

9K views 76 replies 45 participants last post by  TascosaJoe 
#1 ·
I'll prob. get beat up by the SAA lovers for this, and I am also a SAA lover, they are a beautiful hand gun, and are fun to shoot, BUT, If I hear that bump at 2 am some where in the house I'm leaving my SAA and taking my ugly 9mm Glock to check it out, which one would you take ?

#71 ·
All romanticizing the ole west and our "six-shooters"(actually 5-shooters loaded safely) aside, I'll take any double action revolver or double/single action semi-auto over an SAA anytime for self protection. Not many of us are trained under high stress and quick reaction times in a life threatening situation where remembering to cock a hammer or switching-off a manual safety is an automatic response, coupled with uncertainty about actually firing in a lethal manner. We all think this is a non-issue but it is very real and the split second possible needed will be lost to inexperience, best in my opinion to just pull the trigger unencumbered by anything else if situation warrants.

#73 ·
I have years of training, however the untrained should not use a gun in a stressful situation just because it’s simple to operate. There are many examples of the trained failing to properly deploy firearms in stressful situations. The hit ratio with the DA trigger is not encouraging.

As far as what gun goes into evidence, this is not a consideration for me. I choose a firearm based on how much my life is worth. The price difference of a gun over the years of service it’ll provide negates a few hundred dollars as a consideration. I got my Colt’s .45 back out of evidence one year after it made peace.

And practice, practice practice

#74 ·
There ya go Sturmgewehr!!!!! That'll git'er done. A double tap through center mass and it'll be all over but the sad singing and slow walking...…… and cleaning up the mess. If sumbuddy points ole slabsides at ya, best not stand there, mesmerized by that big black hole in the muzzle. As the man said (feet, don't stand there and let my body be abused!!!!)

#76 ·
All reasonable replies, SAA or Glock really has no edge over the other if properly trained and muscle memory comes into play. The biggest factor is response and alert time a person needs. The more the better to grab your weapon and prepare yourself for combat. Home Invasions now come with multiply criminals, so maybe ammo capacity is a factor, or maybe effective shot placement on a criminal is just as good and helps the other bad actors leave as fast as possible. I tend to keep my SAA next to me, or if not one of my SAA's then my 1911's. I don't even own a Glock so I have no experience with them. I have shotguns made for home defense but prefer to use sidearms because I don't want to repair the collateral damage that a shotgun blast might do....i.e. the smaller the hole maybe my TV doesn't get destroyed...LOL My K-Bar would be the best choice and maybe have plastic sheeting nearby to keep the kills clean in the house. Who knows what is best, since coming out alive is the ultimate goal.

#77 ·
I dont think I am allowed to post but......The only gun fight I was ever in I was carrying my Colt Commander. Plus a friend of mine was shot 4 times in the chest with a 9mm which jammed and lived for several more years to receive a bronze star in Afghanistan. I shoot my SAA much better than with any other piece I own. The real bottom line is shoot what you are most comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.